reduce water flow for solar?

Mar 17, 2010
Kansas
Hi,
My 1 HP pump is blowing the connections off of my 3-way valve when trying to hook up the solar. Even when I have the solar blocked off, that is the connection that blows. I tried it half open and it still didn't hold. I am using flex hoses (I know not the best) and clamps on the connections. Do I need to reduce the water pressure somehow before it goes to the solar? My filter was about 18 psi before attempting the solar hook-up. I'll go out and take a picture, though I am ashamed of my meager plumbing attempts after seeing all the professionals here! We are about ready to say "forget it" with the solar - it's been plenty hot already and we might not need it until fall at this point.
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01369.jpg
    DSC01369.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01369.jpg
    DSC01369.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 96
That style of hose connection can be finicky to get right. Your pump will be putting a little more stress on the hose clamps then they usually get, so a slightly imperfect connection will fail. Once you can get everything connected correctly, everything should be fine.

Your plumbing confuses me. It appears that a black flex line comes out of the filter to a 3-way valve. I presume the black flex line coming out of the 3-way goes to the Pool? The white flex coming out the other side of the 3-way then seems to go both (through a "T") to the solar panel and to what I think is the Intex SWG. Where does the output of the solar panel and SWG go?

In a traditional solar install the flow goes: pump - filter - solar - SWG - pool. If the solar or SWG can't handle the flow there is a bypass loop employed.

The black hose from the filter is the water supply. Black from the 3 way valve feeds the solar panels. White is the return to the pool, which goes through an Intex SWG on the way to the pool. Because there isn't a check valve, the solar panels are pressurized any time the pump is running even when they are turned off.

That is correct. So it is going pump - filter - solar - SWG - pool, unless the solar is bypassed. I'm guessing a check valve is going to need to wait until I go all PVC.

In one posting I read that the clamps will hold a little better if the PVC is "roughed up" a little bit with some sandpaper. Do you think it would help?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.