Finally ready for a BBB/TFP Spring start up

Backyardchemist

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Northern Vermont
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting. After lurking for a year -- spurred by last year's "chlorine lock" created by the addition of chemicals recommended by the local pool store, I've decided try the TFP approach.

Here's where I am at start up:

25000 gal. In ground, vinyl pool. Unheated. Hayward 1/2 HP pump, polaris cleaner, 8 2.75/29.26" filters. I just bought and used for the first time the TF-100 test kit. The pool is clear with some debris, some green algae, and possibly some mustard algae.

Here are my #'s from the home test kit:
TC= <.5
FC=0
TA=50
PH=6.8
CYA=30
CH=300

Here are the pool store #'s:
TC=0
FC=0
TA=71
PH=7
CYA= not tested! (bums!)
CH=220

Here's my plan -- can you let me know if I'm on the right track?

1. Increase TA to 70-80 with 7.5-8lbs baking soda
2. Increase PH to 7.8 (because will lower with dichlor) with 5lbs 11 oz of borax
3. Superchlorinate to kill algae with 7lbs 9oz dichlor
4. Sweep/vac/clean filters daily
5. Retest daily

What do you think? Am I missing anything! Thanks in advance for your help!
:-D

BYC,

Welcome to the forum!

Your very close in your approach to what I would do. Here is my thinking...

1. raise your pH only to 7.2-7.4 with Borax. It'll likely continue to rise more on it's own in time.

2. After raising pH, recheck TA (It'll move just a little). If you get less than say, 70ppm, raise it on up to around 100 with baking soda. If it's 70 or more, you can raise it to 100 or leave it alone....your call.

3. Shock with bleach only. It's easier to manage than dichlor without the side effects and extra bleach is always usable. Extra dichlor may not be. That said, if you already own the dichlor, go ahead with it but be careful that it doesn't raise your CYA too high. (If you are aware it will raise your CYA and have calculated for that carefully, then you are good to go)

4. Remember that shock is a process and not a one-time dosage. You will need to maintain your high level of FC for perhaps several days. Do not continue to add di-chlor.....your CYA will get out of hand quickly.

5. Be prepared to brush, vacuum and clean your pool while you are shocking. Clean out all the nooks and crannies where algae can hide like inside pool ladders or under steps.

6. Post back with more questions....lot's of us here to help

Thanks so much. I've added the borax, rechecked the TA (was at 70 so I'm going to leave it alone), and added the dichlor. 1 hour later the pool has gone from clear to cloudy.

My question now is since the superchlorination can throw off testing, how long should I wait to retest? Also, according to what I read on TFP I shot for 20ppm of chlorine to kill off the algae (both green & yellow). Should I try to maintain that level or should I shoot lower? Basically I'm wondering what my target FC should be for the next few days.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Should I try to maintain that level or should I shoot lower.
YOu must maintain that level of 20ppm. (Read "How to shock your pool" in Pool School)

YOu will hold the 20ppm (which means you will have to continually readd at least twice daily (not with dichlor....but with bleach) until.....

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

That may take a few days but that's how you will get rid of the organics in your pool. It is important to read that article, you've got some brushing and filtering, etc. to accomplish.

Thank you for the reminder about the "How to shock your pool" Pool School page. Here's this morning's update:

Overall look: Much lighter, still cloudy. I now cannot see the deep end.

PH=7
FC=10
TA=70
CYA=50

This morning I cleaned the filters, added 1.7 boxes of borax to increase the PH, Added 2 gallons of 12% bleach, and swept/scrubbed the pool.

I will test again at noon to see how the FC is holding. My feeling is that there is still a lot of organic matter in the pool (disintegrated leaves) as well as the algae that is dying.

How am I doing? I think I'm on the right track.

You're making progress but you will see faster progress if you will keep your FC up higher than you have been.

15 or so should be the lowest you should let it get. In fact, keeping it in 15-20 range would be ideal.

Hello again,

It's been one week and the pool is looking great! I've been able to make sure the FC stays above 15ppm with the most average reading being between 18-22ppm.

Here are this morning's #s:

FC = 16ppm
PH = 7.5
CYA = 58
TA = 90

PH, CYA, and TA have been very consistent all week. The deep end of the pool is still a tiny bit cloudy, but I can see the the bottom drain.

Based on my reading of the pool school document on shocking pools I believe I should continue to keep the levels high until the pool is clear and the overnight chlorine loss =< 1ppm loss.

At this point I just have two questions:

1. Are my assumptions correct on maintaining the high level of chlorine?
2. At what level of chlorine is it safe to swim ... this weekend is looking to be warmer and my family would like to jump in, but I'm concerned that a ppm of >15 is too high.

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.