Best way to add Stabilizer

I nearly am finishing shocking my pool and cleaning the debris off the bottom for the second time. (Switch for pool pump broke and had to get electrician to fix after I nearly got fried trying, but he did get the pool light to work for the first time since we owned the house!)

What is the best way to add stabilizer to the pool? Last year I tried to sock method which took forever and this year I have a zero reading on my CYA. The owner of the pool store said mix in a bucket of water to make a slurry and add it to the skimmer.

You can add it to the skimmer but it still takes the same amount of time, you're just not looking at it. It's hiding in the filter. The reason we recommend the sock method is that in case you need to clean or backwash your filter you don't lose a great deal of your CYA before it has time to dissolve.

The fastest way is to use liquid but that's crazy expensive most of the time.

Some have done it that way but note that you must keep the pump running so it doesn't sit in your equipment and you must not backwash for a while or it will go right out the hose. Either way, sock or skimmer, it won't show up on the tests any faster - the skimmer method doesn't dissolve CYA, it shoots the undissolved content out the return to sink to the floor. The only faster method is the newer and much more spendy liquid

Ah I see great minds think alike but one of us types faster (I'm on my Blackberry thumb typing)

You won't see your true levels for a while yet so plan to add the recommended amounts on the pool calc but not more. You can always add more as needed without any hassle but too much can be a headache which can require more chlorine or draining wateR

I found a lingere bag in my laundry room (to put women's unmentionables in and throw in the washer). I throw my stabilizer into it, tie it off with a rubberband and then massage the bag in the water until the stuff has dissolved. I tested my water after 3 days and bingo...had CYA.

Reactions: ryandkysmom
I prefer the liquid, althought it is more expensive. I've bought the liquid off Ebay for a reasonable price. Or, if you do a google search, there are also some websites that are good as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.