will just aerating help rise PH?

Jun 4, 2010
Michigan
my TA is high, but my PH is low. i was not able to get the stuff i needed yesterday to start the whole process of lower my TA, so i thought maybe by just sticking the hose of the air compressor into the water last night for a few, it would bring the PH back up....but it didn't work to well.....i did this for about 2 hours....
i know i need to get a better test kit(i just have the hth test strips), but why did the PH not rise after 2 hours of non-stop aerating.....i'm sure i missed something else in pool school, i have read and read and then read some more, i'm just not getting it....
last night my TA was 240 or even above, can't find the color it showed..... :? and my PH was like 7.2 range.....when i checked again this morning my TA was gettting closer to the 240 TA color, but my PH was like 6.8 or there abouts.....
i'm just so confused..... :hammer:

this is my second year with a pool, last year seemed so simple, but this year i feel i'm reading to much into all the info at pool school.....i spent alot of time here last year, just reading!!

BTW, this place is great!!! i have learned so much and only hope to continue to do so!!

thanks for any help!

Proper aerating will raise pH but a lot of other things go into the equation of how far, how fast it gets there.

an air hose is not a very good aerator. The bubbles it creates are too big to help much and in the big scheme of things there's not a lot of aeration happening that way. Tiny bubbles are what you need and breaking the surface millions of times is even better at creating those bubbles.

doh!!!yeah, it was making some BIG bubbles.....ok i see now.
i saw a post from a person that said they somehow got a showerhead attached to something and it worked great, i could not find a spare one of those, but i did find some PVC that i glued an air fitting too, now i'm going to drill a bunch of holes in it and that should be just what i need????? correct???
thank you very much for the quick reply!!

well i was going to go small, but now i will go smaller!!! thanks again for your help!!!

now if i could just figure out where the 4lbs of stablizer and conditioner i put in there went.....
sorry to ask another question, but will high TA affect the amount of stablizer i put in??? like i said i have dumped 4lbs( a whole jug of HTH stuff) within the last week and my CYA levels will not move, its almost like they are getting worse.....
i did try it both ways, first i dumped about 2 lbs into the skimmer over a period of time, then i read about the sock idea, so i did that the other day with another 1lb, then when i checked again it still was reading low(0), so i dumped in the last lb yesterday.....and still when i check this morning its like i didn't add any.....what gives????

duraleigh said:
I would not attempt to perform that procedure with test strips....they are simply unreliable and inaccurate.

A drops based kit for pH and TA will serve you much better.

i know, i know!!!! i like to test though!! i'm testing 3 times a day now.....will the TF100 last me more than a week if i like to test????? that is what i'm nervous about, with as much as i like to test, i could end up going bankrupt just buyin the test stuff....
i feel i need to get a better one and will, but i'm also nervous about using it.....the test strips are so me(idiot) proof, i just dip and check.....but i think that is why i'm having to read so much, cuz my test strips are not great..... :(
hopefully within the next week or so i can get one of the recommended ones.

Your best bet is to go ahead and order a better test kit. It's amazing how inaccurate those strips can be.

See my sig for the TF-100XL (and others). It'll last you a good while.

If you've dumped 4 lbs of stabilizer in a 5900 gallon pool you now have a CYA level of 81! The strips just aren't reading it.
81 is a little higher than we suggest for a SWCG pool and it's way higher than Intex's 50ppm max but it'll be ok.

What level were you shooting for?

If you aren't already, please learn how to use the Pool calc (link's in my sig for it too).

Think of it this way. If the strips are lying to you, are you really testing three times a day? You could test a hundred times a day and if it's wrong you don't really know any more than if you had just taken them and thrown them into a pile and read them like tea leaves. In fact with tea leaves, at least you could make tea!

Seriously, get yourself a good test kit. And that worrying about testing three times a day will go to once a day pretty soon because your information will be light years better.

i have been there too, pool cal....
i was shooting for the range of 50, per the SWG's article in pool school. last year i was able to keep it about 30 i thought.....

yeah, i'm really starting to doubt the stupid strips any more.....grrrr....

when should u notice a rise in CYA after adding it?? 1 day, 30 minutes?? i'm sure the last lb is still inside the pump somewhere, so i could just take out the filter and put a new one in......

i just saw your other post. i will!! thank you very for your time and super quick responses!!!! hope u have a great weekend!!!
thanks,
jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
well i just called all 4 pool places in my area and none of them have anything decent....just the 9.99 testers.....grrrrr!!!!! and as usual its the weekend.....
nevermind i found a KT 2005, would that be ok???? or they have a kt-2004, but the KT 2005 sounds better and is more expensive, so it must have more stuff in there!!!!

The K-2005 is not ok. You need either the K-2006 or the TF-100(XL). The K-2005 only has DPD chlorine test, not the FAS-DPD test. There is a difference! Some Leslies carry the K-2006 or they're rebranded version of it, but most do not. They have been known to tell people that the K-2005 is the same but don't believe them. Ask specifically if it has the FAS-DPD and not just the DPD test.

I hve the TF100 and test a LOT! It's just the compulsive side in me. :rant: And it looks like there are possibly a few reagents i could run out of by seasons end but i doubt it. You waste more reagents in the beginning when you are learning to test and also learning your pool.

Once you have those down it seems that the reagent use is minimal.

great.... another 100 bucks just blown away.....
i knew i should of just manned up and posted about my problems alot sooner.....

looks like my spa store isn't going to like there newest customer, cuz i'm going to return the kit and get a different one.....gosh darn it!!!!
i really like all the stuff in the TF100, but i would assume the XL version of that has got more stuff it.....

looks like i will be chatting with dave again real soon!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.