SKIMMER GATE ??bumper???

Yellowbug33

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
I noticed a black piece of foam rubber (rectangle shape) hanging down on the inside part of the skimmer gate. It was a tad sticky on one side and apparently it is there so when the gate closes and hits it doens't make a loud banging noise. I touched it and it came off all the way. My question is: are these sold somewhere and how do i get it to stick as the water would have to be perfectly still as to not come up to keep that dry to make this stick. I tried putting exterior double sided tape to no avail. Thanks

Hey Yellowbug,
Which skimmer do you have?
Once we know the mfg and model we can suggest a place to buy them.

Most if the time the foam is there to provide bouyancy to the weir not really for sound abatement.

I have model #'s for everything it seems but the skimmer. Cover shows Sta-Rite and on bottom of cover I see U-3. Does that help any?
Pool was installed late summer 2008. Thanks

I rea1lly don't see the piece. the black foam is only 1"long and about 1/2 inch wide. I don't think it was stuck to the skimmer door, gate, weir or whatever the term is. It was half way hanging on and it was stuck to the inside of the skimmer and when the door goes to close it was on the inside of the skimmer where the door hits. Looking at the parts that you sent does not show it and I'd hate to buy a new door as I know this piece was not stuck to the door. Any help on what I've put down on its measurements in this reply?? thanks

Can you recommend a type and or brand of underwater sealant? I think i may have found the part(Sta-Rite 08650-0018) but I could be wrong as I can't believe a piece of foam that is sticky on one side will cost me 40 dollars. It's only about 1" long by 1/2 inch wide.

Thanks

Sounds to me like a Rube Goldberg kludge fix and not part of the skimmer. Sometimes weir doors tend to stick when fully vertical and not reopen. This is rare because the weight of the pool water is trying to push it open. Then the skimmer goes dry and sucks air. Maybe they were trying to keep the door from closing all the way to avoid this problem. Consider trying to live without it and see what happens. Sound abatement sounds unlikely, but you never know. Normally a weir will only make a sound when there is wave action in the pool, when other noise is almost guaranteed to cover it up. I suppose if somebody is reading while someone else is doing laps, the noise might be annoying.

If the weir door does stick, there are better ways to fix it.

Durk,

I responded similar to your response, but deleted it when I read that there was an actual description of a "Skimmer weir bumper". My thoughts were that this was a piece of foam that was used for the shipping of the skimmer and inadvertently left on by the builder, rather than a sound abatement component. 24 years in the swimming pool industry and I do not recall a bumper being used in a skimmer.
I too would recommend not to bother looking for a replacement, if the sound is not a bother.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.