Pump Pressure after a Aqua Trol Install

Jun 4, 2010
Hello all,
I am new to this forum as I am also a new pool owner.
I have a oval 10.5gal Above ground pool.
I have a basic question.

The water was flowing evenly at 10psi on the gauge before I just installed a Aqua Trol Return jet type.
Now it seems to sit at 0 and work its way up to 10 or so then drop back down. It does not have a nice even flow as it did before the install.

Is this normal or is there something wrong here?

Thanks for any help to a noob.

Steve

Welcome to TFP.

I hope you meant 10.5Kgal pool! :-D Just had to rib you a little. :)

Does the pump basket stay full of water all the time?
Did any of the valves seem like they didn't open completely when you reopened them after the install.
Is the skimmer weir operating freely and is it creating a vortex in the skimmer?

I think I may have jumped the gun a little.

I have had the unit running now since this morning and it seem to be doing better.
As it does not hold a steady point on the pump gauge it is not setting at 0 anymore than jumping to 10.
The pressure is fluctuating a bit more than without the aqua trol but it is definitely moving the water and no longer setting at 0 at all.

:? Yea I did mean 10.5K. Don't mind the ribbing thats what keeps forums like these fun.

Thanks

Steve

Check the skimmer and make sure the water in the pool is deep enough that the skimmer is getting plenty of water. When the water is a little low, the skimmer can draw in air, which causes the pump to stumble for a moment and can cause the pressure fluctuation you describe.

Bama Rambler said:
Welcome to TFP.

I hope you meant 10.5Kgal pool! :-D Just had to rib you a little. :)

Does the pump basket stay full of water all the time?
Did any of the valves seem like they didn't open completely when you reopened them after the install.
Is the skimmer weir operating freely and is it creating a vortex in the skimmer?

The pump basket does not stay full that is the problem it fill up then purges the water through the system.
I think I have a air leak but not sure where it could be.

Can I run it in this condition?(until I get it fixed)
It does move the water just not efficiently.

Suggestions?

Thanks

A few likely causes of the pump basket doing that are;
  1. An air leak at the pump basket lid[/*:m:2v4t32qh]
  2. The skimmer weir could be sticking[/*:m:2v4t32qh]
  3. The water level could be low causing the skimmer to create a vortex and suck in air[/*:m:2v4t32qh]
  4. The skimmer line could have a restriction[/*:m:2v4t32qh]
  5. There could be a leak in the suction piping.[/*:m:2v4t32qh]

O-ring lube, O-ring lube.
Wow what a small thing but that is what it was. As a noob and my installer/sales team did not give me an real info on how to maintain the system I am relying on this board and my local pool supply store to help.

Thank you all.
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.