Trouble in Paradise

YAZ

Jul 1, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Y'all!

25k gl in ground pool and the pump motor is shot. The sand filter is app. 30 yrs old. Yes, I know. Everything needs to be replaced.

Plumbing too, of course.

I'm fairly decent in the home improvement dept., but I want to ask everyone if you've done this yourselves. I can purchase some good equipment for this task for under 1000 bucks. The filter seems to be working OK, I'm wondering if I can just get by this summer with a new pump motor.....?

I work a bunch of hours so I called a pool tech guy to check things out. Looks like he used a hammer to "free" the pump motor. My wife was home but I was at work.....He damaged the housing where the pump fits in to.

It appears that way, anywhoooo.

No charge, of course. Evidently he left in a hurry.

He was supposed to take the old motor out and replace it with a rebuilt one. Instead I have an old beat up motor lying next to my pool and no filtration whatsover. He's not answering the phone....LOL.

I gotta do this quick. Buy the stuff on Saturday afternoon, start the project, then finish up on Sunday.

It's gonna be 110 this weekend here in Phoenix. I don't wanna pay premium bucks to fix it right away.

Can I do this?

I have no pool experience at all, but I understand how filters work.

Given your time frame I'd go to the local pool store(s) and buy a replacement pump. Leave the filter for another day. I'd look at a 1hp full rated or a 1½hp uprated 2-speed for that size pool. Make sure it's an inground pump. Also be sure to match the voltage of your existing pump. You don't want to add the headache of changing the power or trying to rewire the motor to match.

As Richard said, get plenty of PVC plumbing fittings from your local home improvement store. You can take back what you don't use.

P.S. If Richard doesn't have enough cuss words for you, pm me, I was a sailor in another life! I can hook you up!

Yaz my husband replaced our pool pump motor by himself and we pd abt $450 online for it so yes it can be done. He ordered all the parts online though as we live in the sticks and don't have a pool store nearby. He is a great mechanic. Sounds like you have found expert help with Richard and Bama Rambler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.