cloudy water... still

Jun 9, 2007
Please help me!!! I've been trying to get my pool swim-ready for 3 weeks and it's still cloudy. Here's the story...
When we opened it, it had a lot of algae (was really green), no chlorine and no cya. The pool company added liquid chlorine and algecide. They also said that the CH was low and had me add a powder to increase it.
The water is now blue but very cloudy and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I can only see about a foot or two down. I'm keeping the chlorine at shock level - the stores must think I'm crazy from all the bleach I'm buying!!!

Here's my numbers:
FC: 16
CC: 1.0
pH: 7.2
TA: 140
CH: 340
CYA: 60

I have an above-ground pool (apx 17,000 gal) with a sand filter.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca,

You're gonna' hate this answer but you need more chlorine. Bring your FC up to around 20-25ppm and HOLD IT THERE adding as often as you need to so it never slips below 20.

That added chlorine, plus brushing, plus backwashing if needed will clear your pool up. Are you seeking out (and cleaning) any places where Algae can still be lurking? For example, inside your ladder or under the steps?

You're pretty close but you need to really hit the pool hard with chlorine and diligent cleaning and it will be sparkling clear.

Might the CH level be contributing to the cloudiness? I have a vinyl liner and I've never had to do anything with adjusting that level before. According to my testing, my tap water has a level of 280...

thanks,
Rebecca

duraleigh is probably right. However, it is remotely possible that the CH is contributing to the cloudiness. You could try bringing the PH down to 7.0. That will clear up any cloudiness related to CH.

laughing here at""" ALL THE CLORINE..."" I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE my pool sat for a year without a pump running. it is clean again but my pool is not clearing up. im into it 100 gallons of bleach and 3 weeks of a lot of work and finally I posted for help yesterday.

there are so many sucess stories here so i know this works. it has not worked for me. YET

MY SUGESTION is to read more stories of people who finally got it done and know you can do it too. The key thing was testing the water with a good tester and lots of bleach, along with a lot of cleaning. it seems the GREEN NASTY POOL owners, were so unhappy then one day it started looking good and a few days later it was almost perfect.

good luck..

Alright... I may just be impatient, but my cc is .5 and has been for a couple of days. The water is looking a bit better. (I can now kind of see the center drain) but - now I'm wondering about the sand filter possibly not working good enough. I've been backwashing after it rises about 8 psi, but I've read some posts about adding DE to the sand filter. Is this something I should do? If so, where do you actually buy DE?

thanks,
Rebecca

sand filters take forever to clear dead algae. Its an added expense, but pool first aid, made by natural chemistrys really helps clear cloudy water fast from dead algae particals. I know alot of ppl here dont like using anything but bleach, but sometimes ya just need to get it over with and do what it takes to get it clear. Otherwise by the time you do clear it, it will be time to put the cover back on!

Yes, sand filters can take longer to clear a pool. One can wait with shock levels if one has patience, but if one doesn't have the patience or if for some reason it's not having much improvement using chlorine alone after a week, then there are several extra cost options available. Adding DE to a sand filter is an easy and inexpensive approach to improve filtration. As you mentioned, Natural Chemistry Pool First Aid is an enzyme product with a clarifier. You can just go the clarifier route using something like BioGuard Polysheen Blue or the flocculant route (assuming one can vacuum-to-waste) with OMNI Liquid Floc Plus. All extra cost, but can speed things up so its a cost/convenience/speed tradeoff. [EDIT] Note this post regarding only using Polysheen Blue with sand filters. [END-EDIT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.