Green Water from return

Jun 3, 2010
Please help, I am battling green color algae right now. As instructed by my pool place I added 3 pounds of Shock and 5-6 ozs of Clarifier and Algaecide. the next day it was still green and chlorine reading still low, added 2 more lbs of Shock and Clarifier and Algaecide. Pool is not green anymore, however it is very cloudy and algae settled at bottom. Chlorine reading is 3-5. I tried to vacuum the pool and when I do green water comes out of the return. I tried backwashing and rinsing my sand filter and vacumming again and it is still happening, please help, I am so frustrated with this. thanks! I have a 18' above ground pool with a Jacuzzi sand filter.

You may have to run the backwash/rinse cycle longer or a few more repetitions to clear the sand filter of the dead algae.

I vacuumed to my waste and everything was okay. Tested my water and my alkalinity was high at 230. My water is no longer green, but it is very cloudy. What should I do now??? I shocked it again this morning and added 1oz of clarifier to it.

Just so I have this right, are you saying green water and debris are going into the pool when you vacuum, or that when you vacuum you are seeing green water and debris coming out of the discharge hose onto the ground or wherever your waste water goes?

You will be done shocking the pool when your FC number holds overnight (dusk til dawn) with only a 1ppm drop, your CC is .5 or less, and the water is clear. The filter should be running 24/7 while you are in the shock process. We really need to see a set of current test numbers to give you the best advice. If you do not have a test kit, have the pool store test a sample and get a copy of the results to post here. Don't buy anything else from the pool store. Anything you just added to the water, such as clarifier will take a couple of days to work if it works at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.