My CYA is high at 200

Jun 3, 2010
Just had my pool water tested and my CYA is high at 200. It was recommended to me to drain my pool completely. I have a 18' round above ground pool. Is this the only solution to lower my CYA?

Re: CYA too HIGH?

glendeza said:
Just had my pool water tested and my CYA is high at 200. It was recommended to me to drain my pool completely. I have a 18' round above ground pool. Is this the only solution to lower my CYA?

Who tested that and told you it was at 200? From reading on this site, the only way to remove cya right away is to drain.

Re: CYA too HIGH?

You don't need to completely drain the pool, just mostly. Leaving 3" to 4" of water in the pool will help keep anything from shifting and make the whole process a little safer.

No CYA test is especially precise at high CYA levels. So your actual CYA level might be a lower or higher.

You should also think about how the CYA level got that high, probably from the use of trichlor tablets, and change your practices so you don't have the same problem again next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.