Test results and questions

newpoolguyinmo

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
After reading this site for the past few months and opening my own pool which is crystal clear and awesome thanks to the information here, my friends at work are now asking why their pools are cloudy, green, etc. I took a sample and here are the results from one of the pools using my TF-100 kit.

FC 1.5
CC 3.0
TC 4.5
pH 7.5
TA 210
CH See below
CYA <20

The pool owner says he opened two weeks ago, put in 4 or 5 bags of shock and then dumped 2 or 3 gallons of algaecide in it. (I know....)

The water is very cloudy but he says it is clearing some now.

Clearly he needs to bring FC to shock level and bring the TA down to a reasonable level.

My questions are:

1) Why is CYA below 20 if he put in several bags of shock? I filled the test tube to the very top and it was still very clear to the dot.

2) On the CH test, I added the drops as per test instructions and it says to add the final drops until the water turns blue. Also says if there is copper to add 2 drops of R-0012 before R-0011L, etc. I did the test both ways and each time the sample turned blue immediately and would not change color. I added up to 50 drops of R-0012. What does this mean???

There are different kinds of "shock". If they used cal-hypo there isn't any CYA. Or, the CYA test can read levels as high as 20 as if they were zero, so maybe the CYA level is ready 12 or 15.

On the CH test, turning blue right away means the CH level is zero. CH at zero is a little unusual, but not a problem for a vinyl liner pool. That does tend to argue against my cal-hypo theory however.

In any case, get CYA up to between 30 and 50, and shock.

The "shock" could be cal-hypo which would have added no CYA. And even if it wasn't, if you started at zero CYA, it would still be below 20 (probably... don't know the size of the pool).

I am guessing the algaecide was copper based, and the copper content may be giving you a "fading endpoint". See:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=70

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.