Jandy DEL tank o-ring....how often to replace?

Jul 7, 2007
Allen, Texas
Hi everyone,
I looked around the forum but didn't find an answer. How often do you replace your main o-ring on your DE filter tank (the o-ring between the two halves)? In my case, it's a Jandy DEL60 which I purchased in 2006. I just opened it up and did my yearly rinse of the grids. I put everything back together and now I have a small leak (a drip every 6-8 seconds). I tried loosening the clamp, repositioning it slightly, and reclamping, but the leak is still there. I put a very thin coating of silicon lube on the o-ring when I put it back together.
Think I should put more lube on the o-ring? How much is too much? Or should I purchase a new o-ring (pricey)?
Last year I had a very small leak also that eventually stopped, but this one is a little more.

Mike

That o-ring should last many years, often but not always the entire life of the filter.

When assembling the filter, the only thing you didn't mention doing is making sure that the o-ring and both of the surfaces it pushes against are clean and not nicked or cut.

O-rings will settle in and sometimes seal better after a couple of days. I would wait and see if it seals by it's self. If it doesn't, open it back up, use more lube, and check the surfaces for imperfections/dirt. If that still doesn't do it, you should get a new o-ring.

Yeah, I've pretty much decided what you said.....I'll wait and see. I did clean the gasket surfaces on the tank top/bottom, plus I cleaned the o-ring itself before I put it all back together. I then lubed the surfaces and the o-ring, but wiped off any excess. I'll see if my repositioning the clamp helps.

I am on my original 2004 O-ring. I slather it with MagicLube every Spring. I take a rubber mallet to the band and go around with medium bashes as I am tightening (as my Waterway manual recommends). I won't replace until it fails--as in starts leaking and I can't stop it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.