Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy DEL tank o-ring....how often to replace?

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy DEL tank o-ring....how often to replace?

Hi everyone,
    I looked around the forum but didn't find an answer. How often do you replace your main o-ring on your DE filter tank (the o-ring between the two halves)? In my case, it's a Jandy DEL60 which I purchased in 2006. I just opened it up and did my yearly rinse of the grids. I put everything back together and now I have a small leak (a drip every 6-8 seconds). I tried loosening the clamp, repositioning it slightly, and reclamping, but the leak is still there. I put a very thin coating of silicon lube on the o-ring when I put it back together.
    Think I should put more lube on the o-ring? How much is too much? Or should I purchase a new o-ring (pricey)?
    Last year I had a very small leak also that eventually stopped, but this one is a little more.

Mike
    Mike

16.5k IG gunite pool/spa, pebble-tec type plaster, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 2hp ePump main pump, Jandy 1.5hp Stealth on waterfall, Polaris 280, iAqualink wifi control, Colorsplash LED pool/spa lights

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy DEL tank o-ring....how often to replace?

That o-ring should last many years, often but not always the entire life of the filter.

When assembling the filter, the only thing you didn't mention doing is making sure that the o-ring and both of the surfaces it pushes against are clean and not nicked or cut.

O-rings will settle in and sometimes seal better after a couple of days. I would wait and see if it seals by it's self. If it doesn't, open it back up, use more lube, and check the surfaces for imperfections/dirt. If that still doesn't do it, you should get a new o-ring.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I've pretty much decided what you said.....I'll wait and see. I did clean the gasket surfaces on the tank top/bottom, plus I cleaned the o-ring itself before I put it all back together. I then lubed the surfaces and the o-ring, but wiped off any excess. I'll see if my repositioning the clamp helps.
    Mike

16.5k IG gunite pool/spa, pebble-tec type plaster, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 2hp ePump main pump, Jandy 1.5hp Stealth on waterfall, Polaris 280, iAqualink wifi control, Colorsplash LED pool/spa lights

4. Back To Top    #4

We have used the original o-ring since install in 2003 with no issues. The few times DH thot there was a leak, there wasn't. He fiddled with it till it sealed right.
    Pool: (2003) IG Plaster 14,209 gallon (Water Surface 421 sq. ft.) ~ Spa: 18" raised kidney
    Triple spillway (Waterfall) ~ With 6' slide ~ Hayward's Goldline Controls Aqua Rite Digital Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt System) ~ 40K Salt Cell ~
    ~ AquaLink RS -4 ~ Purex Whisper Flow 2 HP~ Aquatech 60 sq. ft. DE Filter Normal Pressure 22 # ~ MiniMax NT (Propane) Heater 400,000 BTU ~ Jandy Valve Actuator ~Letro Legend Cleaner ~ K-2006 & K-1766 Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I am on my original 2004 O-ring. I slather it with MagicLube every Spring. I take a rubber mallet to the band and go around with medium bashes as I am tightening (as my Waterway manual recommends). I won't replace until it fails--as in starts leaking and I can't stop it.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.