Removed Nature 2 Sanitizer

Jun 2, 2010
This is my 3rd summer with our pool. Above ground, 27' round. We got the Nature 2 as part of the package. What I have learned is that .5 FC is fine when the weather is cool and nobody is in the pool. but very unrealistic under normal usage and warm summer Chicago subrban summers. As soon and the temps goes up, people get in the pool, .5 FC can go to zero very fast. I have to keep FC, with N2, around 1-3ppm to provide a "cushion" so FC doesn't drop to 0 under a lot of demand. Then, the N2 could not keep up with the chlorine demand. Even with the chlorine dial all the way up, I still had to add a puck to the skimmer to get the FC up. (Maybe defective chlorine feeder on the N2?)

Since the N2 could not keep up and the FC realisticly needs to be at 1-3 not .5, same as without the N2, I have replaced the N2 with just a Hayward CL200 feeder. I have read all the bad posts about this but I am finally able to keep up with chorine demand.

What I did really like about the N2 was my water was always sparkling clear and silky smooth. Is that achievable with out the N2?

Has anybody else had a N2 that cannot keep up with demand?

Hi slange, welcome to TFP! :wave:

'Round these parts, we don't recommend the use of Nature2 or any other mineral-based "sanitizers." The reasons are presented in detail in this thread:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html

We have lots of mineral sanitizer "converts" here at TFP, and nobody misses it! Have you read through Pool School (button at upper right of the page)? It has lots of good information.

As for the silky feeling water, I guarantee that you can have even better feeling water without your N2.

If you can post test results (FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA), we can help you get on the way to a TFP!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm a convert after using Ionization for over a decade, well every since the Nature 2 came on the market; maybe closer to 20 years? I converted last summer and will not go back. Probably the only time my pool was sanitary was when I shocked weekly or more. And then everyone (dogs suffered the most) had to stay out of the pool for 24 hours.

Now, don't get me started on metal stains especially copper............ :rant: They will possibly be around until the pool is re-plastered, which is a shame as the 1996 plaster job is holding up quite well, even with the abuse it has suffered all the years prior to finding TFP, last summer. Acid washing didn't even entirely "erase" them.

I fought switching over to BBB method for a few weeks. :hammer: All those years I didn't have algae but what else was lurking in my pool?

My stand alone spa was Nature 2 also, with non-chlorine shock. Last summer, after allowing the dogs into the spa I developed a major bladder infection that was pretty resistant to antibiotics. I have a lot of immunity to most bacteria but that certainly didn't help with that infection. Prior to that I was battling a bio-slime, in the spa, that just wouldn't go a way. It took a major decontamination with huge amounts of chlorine to get rid of that.

Once you switch over to the BBB method I doubt you'll ever go back.

gg=alice

slange316 said:
What I did really like about the N2 was my water was always sparkling clear and silky smooth. Is that achievable with out the N2?

Has anybody else had a N2 that cannot keep up with demand?

I didn't even know about the "demand" when I was using Nature 2 all those years. :whip:

As to the "silky smooth" I can't testify to that in respect to the pool but in my spa, using borax, we no longer need to add the expensive water softener/moisturizer (and then clarifiers and enzymes) we had to add every time we used the spa, usually daily for hours (at temp no higher than 100 F).

We don't use borax for the pool as the dogs use it as a big water bowl and large amounts are not good to inject in quantity. There are a lot of TFP member who do use borax in their pools and like how it makes the water look and feel.

gg=alice

I have a Nature 2 housing and used it with a cartridge last year without any problems. Ill admit it did make the water softer. This year I did not replace the cartridge in fear that I would become a victim of staining after I just had my pool re-plastered with Pebble Tech. With the BBB method of monitoring I have been able to maintaine my pools chemistry with ease and the water is great. With that being said, I occasionally have some eye irritation and submitted a post about the issue to which salt was suggested to ease the eye issue as well as soften the water. My question now for those in the know is how much salt to add given my pool is Ozone with an inline chlorine feeder and no Nature 2 with BBB in use. Sorry not trying to jack the thread but trying to kill two birds with one stone and possibly answering the same question for the both of us.

Chris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.