Haward Super Pump Humming

creena

Jul 9, 2008
After opening the pool this week I noticed that the pump occasionally hums and the impeller fails to turn when started. The unit shuts itself off after about 15 seconds due to, I suspect, overheating. I replaced the capacitor and the issue remains unresolved. If the motor is gently tapped when it is humming, the motor starts.
Is the motor toast and if so any recommendations for a replacement?

Thanks,
Andy

Sounds like the start switch. It'll be right at the back of the motor if you pull the cover off (after turning off the power!). You can try to sand the contacts a bit and lubing the pivots with dielectric grease. don't use too much though. Or you could take it to a motor shop and have them replace it.

I had to replace a burned out motor on a 1.5 hp super pump about a month ago, the replacement was an AO Smith labeled motor from Pool Plaza in Texas, I don't know if they have the best price, but it was better than a couple of other places I checked, and the shipping was very fast ( I ordered around 3 pm one day and it arrived here the next, they are in Dallas about 300 miles away). It was easy to swap out, maybe 30 minutes tops, no need to unhook any of the plumbing.

Ike.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.