Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question

Hi -
    So glad I found you! We just bought a short sale house with a pool and a pond in the backyard, both of which were green/black and hadn't been maintained in over 2 years. With the help of the local pool store I've gotten the water in the pool a pretty blue/clear color, although my test strips showed no chlorine in it. I went to ask the pool store guy if it was okay to swim in and what to do now and he told me I have to "shock" it once a week with 5 gallons of chlorine and it's okay to swim in but my pH is alkalinity is a little low. Is this right? I have to go to the pool store once a week? After lurking around for the past 2 days, I've ordered the TF100 kit but it won't be here until Monday. Also there are some dark colored stains on the bottom of the deep end and around some of the wrinkles in the liner. Will they go away? Thanks in advance for your help
    New owner of a 35k gallon IG vinyl pool
    Sand Filter
    Still learning everything else!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question

Depending on the stains there are a few ways you can treat them... but that can wait till you "get to know your pool" better.
    No the pool guy is wrong - a properly chlorinated pool, rarely if ever, needs routine or weekly shocking.
    What are your PH/TA right now? FC? Did the pool store give you any numbers?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow - you guys are fast!
    No, they did a test strip as well and just told me it was okay to swim and to use one of the tablets to scrub off the stains while I was in there. I haven't tried that yet. Once I get the test kit I ordered, I'll put the numbers I get up. I was just checking to make sure I was hearing him correctly. It didn't seem right that I had to add shock every single week all summer long. I'll try to get it tested as soon as the kit gets here. Thanks again!
    New owner of a 35k gallon IG vinyl pool
    Sand Filter
    Still learning everything else!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Miki79
    Wow - you guys are fast!
    No, they did a test strip as well and just told me it was okay to swim and to use one of the tablets to scrub off the stains while I was in there. I haven't tried that yet. Once I get the test kit I ordered, I'll put the numbers I get up. I was just checking to make sure I was hearing him correctly. It didn't seem right that I had to add shock every single week all summer long. I'll try to get it tested as soon as the kit gets here. Thanks again!
    Yes, you heard him right. They push tablets for chlorinating, and when the CYA gets too high for the Chlorine to work, you shock every week with Calcium Hypochlorite. And in a year, two at most, they recommend you empty the pool and start over. And, by the way, they have this "startup kit" you'll be needing. Ka-ching!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!