Is HTH stabilizer (from Walmart) just as good as...

Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.

Great thanks... from reading posts on this forum many talk about the stabilizer being a solid (putting it in a sock and sticking it in the skimmer). If I remember what I saw at Walmart, the HTH is a bottle of powder. Is there really any difference?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Winger 03 said:
Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.

Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?

I like the HTH from Wally's the best. I usually put 2 lbs in a knee high stocking, in front of a return. I tie a string to the stocking and wrap that around a rock. A couple of bricks will work, also. Sometimes, if I get it just right, I don't have to readjust the stocking, in front of return. The HTH, being almost a "powder" leaves the stocking much faster than others; even faster if you massage the stocking some. In front of my fastest return almost 2 lbs will be gone in a few hours, even if I don't massage the stocking, very important if you have pets that might play with it. The warmer the water the faster it disperses. I know this because I keep my pool open year round, and have to replace CYA pretty frequently due to frequent backwashing. I do have "dust bowl" conditions year round.

gg=alice

mynewpool said:
Winger 03 said:

Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?

I did the sock method. I kind of rigged it up by running a string line attached to the fence across the pool, and then dangled the sock from it in front of a return. It looked odd, but worked great. I know I am supposed to wait to test, but I thought I could cut the time a bit by using the sock method.

Lil Davy said:
So, can someone explain to me why the stabilizer is put in a sock and not just poured into the skimmer?

If you pour it in the skimmer, it will be captured in the filter. If you have to backwash in the week or so it takes to dissolve, you lose whatever hasn't dissolved yet. If you put it in the sock, it dissolves before entering the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.