Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is HTH stabilizer (from Walmart) just as good as...

1. Back To Top    #1

Is HTH stabilizer (from Walmart) just as good as...

the more expensive stabilizers sold at dedicate pool stores?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is HTH stabilizer (from Walmart) just as good as...

Exactly the same, except for price.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Is HTH 100% or 96%? Does that small 4% really matter?
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

It's what I put in my pool last and it seems to be holding up.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

5. Back To Top    #5

Just as good. Sometimes better.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

96% as is all CYA I've ever bought.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

That is good to know. I saw it one time at Lowes and was going to get it, but it said 4% other so opted not to get it. It was a smaller one than I bought. I went to warehouse pool supply and 4.5 lbs of stablizer was 19.99.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Great thanks... from reading posts on this forum many talk about the stabilizer being a solid (putting it in a sock and sticking it in the skimmer). If I remember what I saw at Walmart, the HTH is a bottle of powder. Is there really any difference?

10. Back To Top    #10

No difference...it's all granulated, not really powder consistency. Just put the granules in an old sock...(no holes of course)
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

ok good deal. Thx

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Just this week I got 4 lbs of the HTH 96% CYA (stabilizer) at WalMart for $15. I need more, but am hesitant to put too much given the PITA it is to get rid of CYA. I will re-test tomorrow.
    Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?

13. Back To Top    #13

I like the HTH from Wally's the best. I usually put 2 lbs in a knee high stocking, in front of a return. I tie a string to the stocking and wrap that around a rock. A couple of bricks will work, also. Sometimes, if I get it just right, I don't have to readjust the stocking, in front of return. The HTH, being almost a "powder" leaves the stocking much faster than others; even faster if you massage the stocking some. In front of my fastest return almost 2 lbs will be gone in a few hours, even if I don't massage the stocking, very important if you have pets that might play with it. The warmer the water the faster it disperses. I know this because I keep my pool open year round, and have to replace CYA pretty frequently due to frequent backwashing. I do have "dust bowl" conditions year round.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Give it about a week and see what happens when you test. How did you add via the sock method or through the skimmer?
    I did the sock method. I kind of rigged it up by running a string line attached to the fence across the pool, and then dangled the sock from it in front of a return. It looked odd, but worked great. I know I am supposed to wait to test, but I thought I could cut the time a bit by using the sock method.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

15. Back To Top    #15

I agree with GG, Wal-Mart CYA is almost a powder consistency, guess they changed something about it recently. It's all I've ever used too, I don't set foot in a pool store unless there's no other option.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

16. Back To Top    #16

So, can someone explain to me why the stabilizer is put in a sock and not just poured into the skimmer?

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Davy
    So, can someone explain to me why the stabilizer is put in a sock and not just poured into the skimmer?
    If you pour it in the skimmer, it will be captured in the filter. If you have to backwash in the week or so it takes to dissolve, you lose whatever hasn't dissolved yet. If you put it in the sock, it dissolves before entering the filter.
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

but if I have a cartridge filter and dont ever backwash then i should be OK by pouring into the skimmer, correct?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, adding CYA to the skimmer is just fine as long as you aren't going to backwash. Pour slowly, with the skimmer basket in, but no skimmer sock.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm using the HTH from Wally....dissolves quickly with my sock in front of return method. I also periodically squeeze the sock during the process.
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast