I have read the Pool School several times over. Wanted to share my plan with you and see what you think.
We bought the house last July. Our local pool store, pool stored us and after about $1500 in chemicals we never were able to balance the chemicals. That is all in the past.
It is a new season, and we have decided to open our pool as a trouble free pool. We decided to drain and acid wash and found a decent price for this. We just wanted to start fresh.
Pool stats in signature.
Painted Concrete Pool with Fiberglass sides
Now, we live on a well and can't afford to truck in municipal water. We have a prefilter for filling the water and plan on using that. Here are the stats for our fill water:
CH 232 (Calculated as 2/3 of TH which was 349)
We are filling the pool today and here was my plan for this week starting this evening when the pool will be filled:
- Add 1.5 qts. Nature's Way Metal and Stain Control (1 qt./25,000 Gallons) while filling. Since we are filling from a well.
Add Stabilizer (in sock) to 30ppm CYA (Since we won't have algae to start we don't plan on backwashing filter for a week)
Shock the pool to 12 FC and bring it to 4 FC.
Once I am at 4 FC and 4 TC, I do not plan on shocking unless my CC gets above 0.5.
Get PH to 7.0 and Aerate to lower our TA to 100 (Repeating the process)
Once TA is 100, settling PH at 7.5.
Brush and Vacuum daily to keep it clean during this week.
1. Which order should I do these in? Or do I have it right?
2. Do I really have to wait a week for my Stabilizer value to come up to 30 ppm? Also, is 30ppm a good value, I wanted to keep it low to keep my FC values low when running the pool.
3. It says not to backwash for a week while waiting for CYA levels to rise. Is this ok while I am adjusting other chemical levels? I shouldn't need to backwash right?
4. Do I need to keep the pool at shock levels while I am waiting for PH and TA to come down? Or can I shock it to 12 FC and then come down to 4 FC while I am adjusting the PH and TA?
5. I plan on using Walmart Liquid Chlorine, Muriatic Acid from Home Depot, Stabilizer from the pool store, and Metal Control from Great Escape. Is there any other chemical I should be using?
I plan on posting pics of the process as I am going along. I am a noob, but this site has given me the confidence to do this without pool store assistance. TF100 kit is on the way, btw. In the mean time I am using strips and daily Pool Store testing to get numbers.
Thanks a ton!
Crystal Lake, IL