Anti-virus software suggestions

SeanB

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
My trial version of McAfee is about to expire and I'm looking into anti-virus / spyware solutions. I've always used the Norton Suite in the past and have not had any issues, other than the price. This pc came with McAfee which is why I've been using it but I'm not sure it is something I want to renew.

I'm wondering if there are some other, better options out there, either at similar price or less. I've not looked into freeware although I understand there are some decent ones available now.

Any suggestions?

I have used the following free ones:
AVG
Avast
Avira

Currently I am using Avira on my main PC. I like it because it is lightweight and simple to use. The free version does not do POP3 and does not have adware/spyware protection. But you get those things if you purchase the personal edition and it is only about $25 for a year's subscription. It also rates very highly in the expert reviews I have read.

I also have AVG installed here because Avira won't scan my network attached drive where I save all my downloads. I use AVG for occasional scans and to do a right-click scan of a specific file or folder when needed.

I like that both of them allow you to have other AV software installed. I recently tried Kaspersky AV and it won't install if ANY other AV software is installed. It also slowed by web browsing to a crawl and caused some pages (like YouTube) not to load. I also believe their online scanner reports a lot of false positives to try to scare people into buying. I had it flag about 4-5 files on my system, which were fine when scanned with AVG and Avira.

My husband uses Avast, which I also used for a long time and really liked except that it gave a lot of false positives. I liked how you could schedule it to run when your screen saver came on so you didn't have to schedule it for a time when you wouldn't be using the computer. I still use it on my Mac where I sometimes run Windows under Parallels.

I have a hang-up about paying for AV software. I just don't believe anyone should profit from viruses and malware. However, if I was going to buy one of them, today it would be Avira. I am not a fan of Norton or McAfee at all because of how they get so deep into the system and tend to bog the system down. Just remember that whatever you use, it is not going to be bulletproof.

SeanB said:
My trial version of McAfee is about to expire and I'm looking into anti-virus / spyware solutions. I've always used the Norton Suite in the past and have not had any issues, other than the price. This pc came with McAfee which is why I've been using it but I'm not sure it is something I want to renew.

I'm wondering if there are some other, better options out there, either at similar price or less. I've not looked into freeware although I understand there are some decent ones available now.

Any suggestions?

Switch to Linux :-D (JK)

Some people I know use Nod32 and they say it's the best. It's not free but they have a 30 day free trial. I'm stuck with Norton for now on my windows laptop (Work PC). My wife's laptop runs AVG free and it's ok. My Linux server, well that just runs linux.

sevver said:
AVG is the only one I recommend. I have installed it on hundreds of computers without a problem and it is very effective. I despise Norton, dislike Mcaffee.

Which version do you recommend? It doesn't need to be free. The thing I don't like about Norton, is that I feel like I'm buying the software all over again every year, not just paying a fee to keep current.

If you want a good AV that you pay for look into Computer Associates. It uses much less system resources than Norton or McAffe and their AV engine is excellent. For freeware AVG is the only way to go. Avast is a resource hog. Kapersky has a decent AV engine but, IMHO Computer Associates has better heuristics.

Ohm_Boy said:
sevver said:
AVG is the only one I recommend. I have installed it on hundreds of computers without a problem and it is very effective. I despise Norton, dislike Mcaffee.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto.
I use AVG 7.5 Pro and pay for it.

Di-ditto, di-ditto and di-ditto. I too have installed AVG Free Edition on dozens of computers, no problems reported, great engine. Use it now with two email programs and six accounts and all is good. Thoroughly despise Norton and hate McAfee (the early DOS version was good though).

Norton is such a resource hog, my sister uses it and half her system resources are taken my the anti-virus. and it's dead slow to startup.

Now, I'm running McAffe just because my wife's work had her install it since she connects to their network. I like it because it's easy to turn off (right click option in the system tray). At my work they force down Symantic, but I turn off the service so it does not run.

Personally, I can't stand anti-virus programs. They are usually far more evasive living with them everyday than the viruses themselves. Before McAffe, I went over 3 years w/o any anit-virus programs installed and never had a problem. If you're smart about what you do and where you go, it's not too difficult to avoid them. And don't use IE.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Trend Micro PC-cillin 2006 was great. The 2007 version is a system hog. Even if you only install the virus checker, there is a task that runs continuously that slows everything down. They call it the real-time protection. Anyway I found it and deleted the task so that it doesn't start and got my speed back. The 2007 version seems to update lots more often than the 2006. I'm wishing I hadn't upgraded and in fact will be trying AVG the next time I have a subscription running out.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Panda anti-virus....

Since it has yet to be mentioned I have to put my support to Panda Anti-virus. I like them for many reasons a few of which I will list below:

1. set it and forget it - most anti-virus companies offer this, only Panda in my experience has been virtually hands and hassle free after install.
2. They offer a range of products to suit your needs. Not just one bloated software package that installs everything and expects you to figure out what you don't want later.
3. Frequent updates - most services offer this as default - Personally I have seen Panda update (not just check) multiple times per day as new viruses were in the wild.
4. They are simply not as well known in the industry - This is important to me as all of the other names listed in the above replies are popular and well known anti-virus companies. Unfortunately that means they are on more hackers radar in an effort to defeat or get around the software.

One last thing if you are paying for a high speed (DSL or better) your ISP most likely offers some form of software free with your subscription. Depending on the nature of the use you put your computer to these packages coupled with some free anti-spyware tools like SpyBot Search and Destroy and Spywareblaster and practicing safe internet habits can be all that you really need.

Jeff

AVG has been teriffic. It updates frequently, and more importantly, doesn't bog down the system when it updates or scans.

Norton is about to expire on my desktop pc and I will be converting it over to AVG as well - probably the paid version this time, just because it's such a great product; they deserve the money I would have given to Norton.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.