Looking for feedback on ZeoSand vs Sand

Jun 1, 2010
:?: Looking for feedback on ZeoSand. I recently converted from Sand to ZeoSand. Mostly due to my research online.

My question starts with...

Has any other members used this type of media?
If so what are your thoughts on it's filtering ability?
Was this a good decision on my part.

This is the site of sites for pool care.
Love It!

Welcome to TFP!

Most people think zeolite (the generic name for what ZeoSand is made of) filters better than sand, though some can't see any difference. Zeolite does get significantly more complaints than sand. Some batches will crush and release clouds of very fine crushed zeolite into the pool in some situations. Most zeolite users don't have this problem, but it is a not un-common issue, happening perhaps 10% of the time, and can be extremely annoying.

Thanks for the response!
Haven't had the "cloud problem" been using since opening this season.
I see a deference, but maybe that's due to the sand that was in the filter was about 5 yr old.

Thanks again!

I have used sand for 7 years and Zeolite for about 1 year. I don't see a difference. I have noticed after I backwash, cloudy water will come out of the returns for about 30 seconds. I never saw this with sand. I have also noticed that the filter pressure never rises more than 3 or 4 pounds withe Zeolite.

Glad I found this topic since I have 175 pounds of Zeosand in my garage just waiting. I had a crack in one of my lateral piPes and sand was just pouring into the pool last year. So I replaced the whole assembly and thought I'd refill with zeO and give it a try. Will post my experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.