Aqua Smarte 5720 help needed....

Jun 3, 2010
Akron, Ohio
I purchased my home 3 1/2 years ago with the pool and it's equipment included. I have been able to find, troubleshoot, and repair most of the equipment through online research. However, I cannot find my chlorinator listed anywhere online! It is leaking from the back retainer area. It appears that this in considered the Control Dial Locking Pin (according to a newer model, the 6700, I found online). I think I just need to replace the rubber o-rings and find a replacement locking pin (the one that does in there went missing recently somehow). Any advice?

You must be thinking about a different version of this system...maybe the 6700 series. Mine is a hollow interior with a screw on cap. Instead I put 3" chlorine tabs inside of it. I have attached some photos of it for you to check out...[attachment=0:21i2vuwl]IMG00040-20100509-0809.jpg[/attachment:21i2vuwl]

These pics were taken before I rebuilt a lot of this system...but the chlorinator remains unchanged.

Attachments

• IMG00038-20100509-0808.jpg
    IMG00038-20100509-0808.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG00040-20100509-0809.jpg
    IMG00040-20100509-0809.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 81
Nope same thing - the mineral cartridge may not have been inserted when you took over the pool? According to their website/owners manual, the 5720 is the same kind as what I was referring too.
https://www.gpspool.com/customer/ge... Smarte AG Mineral Sanitizer Installation.pdf

You were just putting tablets directly into the hollow interior? I wonder if someone altered it... was it used this way when you took over the pool?

Anyway, King Tech is the manufacturer, if you want replacement parts you can try contacting them.

I'm not sure this is gonna help but Lowes usually carries an assortment of o-rings and cotter pins. You could take the chlorinator apart and see if you could match the o-ring and try to find something to use as the retainer.

The closest thing I could find is on the King Technologies website. Call them they might be able to help you out. Personally I'd ditch the Aqua-Smarte system and go with a liquid chlorine feeder or a SWCG.

FPM and I were searching & typing at the same.

lol Thank you FPM and BR....i appreciate the solid efforts on your parts to help. I actually came across the O-ring assortment today at a hardware store and am keeping an eye open for possible replacement retainer pin solutions. As far as the Aqua Smarte goes, I just started using it this way, never saw inserts....the chlorine tabs are going somewhere! lol

Alright, well now i must reach out to clarify some things as i am new on this site:

1) Is using chlorine 3" tabs through my makeshift feeder acceptable with the BBB methodology? I still have a 50 pound tub to go through....
2) Considering the above mentioned chlorinator (Aqua Smarte used without bacpacs), is it okay to use it this way??? I,e. Effective and harmless?
3) I use DiChlor shock bags whenever the weather is bad, but it looks like you guys frown upon these....Is liquid bleach a better alternative for such instances?

R/R TJ

The issue with both trichlor and dichlor is that they both add CYA. Eventually, your CYA level gets too high and you have problems.

One of the important principals of BBB is knowing what things do and using them appropriately. If your CYA level is too low, using trichlor and/or dichlor can make sense. But if your CYA level is already high enough, or worse getting too high, then using trichlor or dichlor is a mistake.

The Aqua Smarte system does two things, add "minerals" and hold trichlor packs. The "minerals" are actually metals, like copper and zinc. Copper can stain blonde hair green and both copper and zinc can cause unsightly metal stains on the pool. Because of that we don't ever recommend using metals in the pool.

Bleach/liquid chlorine is nice because it doesn't add anything significant besides chlorine. You can use bleach for as long as you want and not have some other level get too high. It is more carrying, since the water in bleach increases the weight significantly, but it is usually less expensive than the alternatives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.