Pump run time.

Jun 20, 2009
Princeton, WV
Just Curious. We have a Hayward sand filter that is approx 25yrs old. It runs 24/7. Any reason to not run your pump all the time other than to save on the wear and tear of it? This is our 3rd season with it and the previous owner said he ran it all the time also.

Thanks

I imagine the cost of electricity is quite high to run it 24/7. I only run my pump 3 hours per day during the summer, cost approx $12.00 per month. :-D If I were to run 24/7 it would be about $192.00 per month. :eek: If the water is clear & clean I see no reason to run it that long.

meatloaf said:
I imagine the cost of electricity is quite high to run it 24/7. I only run my pump 3 hours per day during the summer, cost approx $12.00 per month. :-D If I were to run 24/7 it would be about $192.00 per month. :eek: If the water is clear & clean I see no reason to run it that long.

Only $12/month? Even with only have the 3/4 HP model, our pool runs about $100/month to run assuming 8 hours run time.

Ha....I was going to say the same thing: $12/month?!? Wow. You must have cheap electricity and a small pump.

Having said that....running your pump 24/7 is totally nuts, unless you live in a constant dustbowl. I used to run my pump 8 hours a day, because that is what the builder told me to do (and programmed into my system), but I have since lowered mine to 4-5 hours a day (I have a SWG which needs some time to produce chlorine). I run mine 4 hours in the morning (SWG seems to like cooler temps), then another hour in the mid-afternoon.

ntxpool said:
Having said that....running your pump 24/7 is totally nuts, unless you live in a constant dustbowl.

Hope you don't mind ntxpool, but since seeing one of your posts today I've used "dustbowl" a few times. 100% description for my extreme environment, year round, sorry to say.

I run my pump 23/7 but will be programming it for three or four one hour "time outs" a day soon. The variable flow/speed pump(Intelliflo VF) has been one of the greatest additions to my pool. I've already seen major reduction of electricity use since we installed it in April. Except when the vac cleaner is running (2-3 hours a day compared to 10 hrs a day using pressure cleaner with booster pump Polaris 280) the pump runs at 200-250 watts. By the end of this year the new pump and new BIG filter will have paid for themselves, including labor and pipe/connectors, to re-plumb the pumping station and move the filter location. :whoot: (I have been using a 2.23 SFHP main pump and 3/4 HP booster (min 10 hours a day almost year round) since the late 80's with an undersized DE filter.) Although the Polaris is the absolute best for leaves and heavy plant debris it certainly kept the dust stirred up in the pool. I had to change the skimmer sock minimum of twice a day because of dust clogging. Now it is going 2-3 days without changing out.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.