Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump run time.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump run time.

Just Curious. We have a Hayward sand filter that is approx 25yrs old. It runs 24/7. Any reason to not run your pump all the time other than to save on the wear and tear of it? This is our 3rd season with it and the previous owner said he ran it all the time also.

Thanks
    16 x 32 AG Fanta Sea 13,500 gal/ Hayward Sand Filter/ 1 hp Hayward Power Flo LX Pump
    1 skimmer 1 main drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump run time.

I imagine the cost of electricity is quite high to run it 24/7. I only run my pump 3 hours per day during the summer, cost approx $12.00 per month. If I were to run 24/7 it would be about $192.00 per month. If the water is clear & clean I see no reason to run it that long.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf
    I imagine the cost of electricity is quite high to run it 24/7. I only run my pump 3 hours per day during the summer, cost approx $12.00 per month. If I were to run 24/7 it would be about $192.00 per month. If the water is clear & clean I see no reason to run it that long.
    Only $12/month? Even with only have the 3/4 HP model, our pool runs about $100/month to run assuming 8 hours run time.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

4. Back To Top    #4

Ha....I was going to say the same thing: $12/month?!? Wow. You must have cheap electricity and a small pump.

Having said that....running your pump 24/7 is totally nuts, unless you live in a constant dustbowl. I used to run my pump 8 hours a day, because that is what the builder told me to do (and programmed into my system), but I have since lowered mine to 4-5 hours a day (I have a SWG which needs some time to produce chlorine). I run mine 4 hours in the morning (SWG seems to like cooler temps), then another hour in the mid-afternoon.
    Mike

16.5k IG gunite pool/spa, pebble-tec type plaster, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy 2hp ePump main pump, Jandy 1.5hp Stealth on waterfall, Polaris 280, iAqualink wifi control, Colorsplash LED pool/spa lights

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason it is so cheap is because I only run the pump during off peak hours. It costs me approx .40 per day.
    My pool is a 10,500 gallon (420 Sq Ft ) kidney shape. A hand made sheer decent waterfeature. STA-RITE HRPB30, Sand filter 30" 98 GPM,
    1 HP Maxi-Glas 2 pump, BBB Method, Taylor K-2005 test kit, 50 Watt 12V low-voltage pond light illuminates the pool at night for a nice soft glow.
    250 gallon stand-alone hot tub. Got it FREE!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by ntxpool
    Having said that....running your pump 24/7 is totally nuts, unless you live in a constant dustbowl.
    Hope you don't mind ntxpool, but since seeing one of your posts today I've used "dustbowl" a few times. 100% description for my extreme environment, year round, sorry to say.

I run my pump 23/7 but will be programming it for three or four one hour "time outs" a day soon. The variable flow/speed pump(Intelliflo VF) has been one of the greatest additions to my pool. I've already seen major reduction of electricity use since we installed it in April. Except when the vac cleaner is running (2-3 hours a day compared to 10 hrs a day using pressure cleaner with booster pump Polaris 280) the pump runs at 200-250 watts. By the end of this year the new pump and new BIG filter will have paid for themselves, including labor and pipe/connectors, to re-plumb the pumping station and move the filter location. (I have been using a 2.23 SFHP main pump and 3/4 HP booster (min 10 hours a day almost year round) since the late 80's with an undersized DE filter.) Although the Polaris is the absolute best for leaves and heavy plant debris it certainly kept the dust stirred up in the pool. I had to change the skimmer sock minimum of twice a day because of dust clogging. Now it is going 2-3 days without changing out.

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine