Backwash and waste water disposal

Mac

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 15, 2010
At a meeting I was informed that disposing of backwash and waste water to a creek or storm water drain is illegal for commercial pools. I am hoping someone could give me feedback on this. The same person making the statement said the water should now be sent to the sewer line. Myth or Truth and any particulars would be appreciated.

Pool is in North Carolina and is a chlorinated cartridged filter system and for subdivision use only.

Thanks,
Mac

This varies from place to place, sometimes by state, sometimes by county. You should check with someone locally if you can, or perhaps some from your area will respond. I do know that sewer only is true in some places, but I am not familiar with the rules in North Carolina.

All,
Thanks for the info so far. I have also dug a little further into the issue. In North Carolina there is no law governing the recirculation water disposal for now. However after talking to some Commercial Builders it seems that most Commercial Pools are now built with the disposal water going to the sewer. However the department that does the inspections says that is not an inspection issue. Who knows though as some municipalities may have a different set of rules.
Thanks
Mac :cool:

Melt In The Sun said:
Your signature says DE filter; is that correct? It's more likely to be true with DE filters, since dry DE is really bad for the ole' lungs.

That is something I had never thought of but makes sense. One thing I have found that may or may not come to be true is those like me with DE or maybe sand that have to backwash may be required at some future date to treat the water before it enters any disposal. It seems it may be more about the cleaners and clarifiers that are in the water though rather than the chlorine itself.
Thanks for your reply
Mac :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.