Skimmer Basket Floats out when pump is off.

May 26, 2010
Gilbertsville PA
My skimmer basket floats out of the skimmer basket opening when the pump stops.
I currently use two tie-wraps sticking out of the sides in a loop to catch under the skimmer ledge. Is there a weight I should be placing in the basket to keep it down?. What would the weight be made of? The dealer (Leslie's) said they all float. If the basket does not seat itself the weir door can not move down when the pump starts. Seems like a bad design to not have some sort of latch.

Reactions: Geminisq
I know mine does not have it, but I have read here that sometimes if you turn it a little it may lock in place. If not a small rock will work well. You do not want to big of a rock in case you forget to take it out your pump will not work as well due to the possible blockage with the rock.

Heh, I use a rock in mine as well. I actually have two baskets, one seems to be of a heavier material (more rubbery) that sinks. Unfortunately, that has cracks in it so I bought some replacement Hayward ones from Leslie's and they float! They never seat properly on their own so I looked around, picked up a rock, threw it in the basket, problem solved!

I made little weights for my skimmer baskets. Here's how...

Get you some 3/4" PVC pipe and cut about a 3" section of it. Using primer and cement, cap one end. Then, fill the pipe full of BB's. After that, seal the other end with a cap using the primer and cement. Then, take a couple of zip ties and secure the little weight that you just built to the bottom of the basket. I put mine on the bottom of the basket on the inside, rather than the underside. That way, if the zip ties were to break, you won't lose the weight down the hole in the bottom of the skimmer. The weight will keep the basket from floating up when the pump is off. Problem solved!

It's important to use the primer and cement to seal the caps in place because you don't want water to make it's way inside the weight and rust those BBs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
basket gets burped out once the pump stops - normal - use a rock - but make sure it's larger than the pipe as stated above - a small rock can get into your pump and break it pretty quick.

:lol: Seems we all solved the floating basket the same way! I had a small smooth oval rock until I lost it. Then I put a piece of broken brick pottery in there as it can lean against the inside of the basket and doesn't cover the bottom. I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble. Just find a rock that will weigh it down in there but not interupt the suction when the pump comes on. And remember to fish it out when you're emptying the basket. The original basket that came with the skimmer used to snap in. Sure miss that one!

I know mine does not have it, but I have read here that sometimes if you turn it a little it may lock in place. If not a small rock will work well. You do not want to big of a rock in case you forget to take it out your pump will not work as well due to the possible blockage with the rock.

Wait, are you saying to remove the rock every time the pump turns on?

That doesn't seem feasible.

Be sure to use a rock that is big enough not to be sucked into any of the PVC openings in your filter box.
--edit-- I see this has been suggested above a couple of times, sorry but not sorry. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.