Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dump in massive amounts of chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Dump in massive amounts of chlorine

Split off of I'm so confused, brown pool. Iron?. JasonLion

For problems like this I like to dump in massive amounts of chlorine all @ once(like 10+ gals of 10.5%) with #2-3lbs of sodium bromide, and repeat with the same amount of chlorine 24hrs later. It works really well!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I'm so confused, brown pool. Iron?

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    For problems like this I like to dump in massive amounts of chlorine all @ once(like 10+ gals of 10.5%) with #2-3lbs of sodium bromide, and repeat with the same amount of chlorine 24hrs later. It works really well!
    There isn't any point in doing that in this case, the water is already starting to clear up. All it would do is be mildly expensive and run a significant risk of causing even worse problems that there were in the first place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: I'm so confused, brown pool. Iron?

~$60 or so here at least, so it's not that expensive, and I've yet to see it cause any problems when I've done it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Dump in massive amounts of chlorine

Bromide/bromine can not be stabilized against sunlight. If you don't add massive amounts of chlorine afterwards at the right times you won't have any sanitizer in the pool at all and can easily have the algae come right back and be even more difficult to fight because the bromide/bromine will keep using up all your chlorine until it goes away.

This whole approach is only worth it when CYA levels are extremely high. The reason it works so well when CYA is high is because bromine is not affected by CYA the way chlorine is, so the bromine is "full" strength, while the chlorine is buffered and less effective because of the CYA. At normal CYA levels, there is no point in doing this, since chlorine alone is plenty effective enough. At normal CYA levels, you can get the same effect for less money with chlorine alone.

In the specific topic you originally suggested this in, it is even less appropriate. The pool was already clearing up, so the algae was already dead, or nearly all dead. It would be like using a stick of dynamite to knock over a wooden wall that was already rotted through so thoroughly that you could push it over with a finger, a waste of time and dangerous to boot.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School