Do you guys change your test kit every year?

poolneophyte, I wasn't answering bats' question, rather I have some unrelated things that bats needs to deal with.

On reagent lifetime: All of the normal reagents will last several years if they are stored properly. You want to store then in a cool dark place with uniform temperatures. They can be damaged by extended periods of high temperatures, lots of direct sunlight, freezing, and by repeated rapid temperature swings.

The FAS-DPD titrant and the PH reagent have the shortest lifetime, still at least three years with proper storage. Most of the rest will last quite a bit longer if you are careful with them. Almost all of them can go bad much more quickly than that if you mistreat them.

Taylor Technologies, the manufacturer of the chemistry for the two most popular kits (TF-100 and K-2006) recommended on this forum, advises that you should change the chemistry every year.

Experience tells many of us that proper care of the kits (mostly keeping them indoors in an air conditioned, heated environment) will allow them to last noticeably longer.

Officially, I think one year will always be the recommended replacement time. Your good common sense will probably allow you to extend that somewhat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.