polishing water or am I just too anal??

flyweed

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Hi all...well I've got my pool open..chems are in check..TA is still a touch high..but otherwise all levels are good...temp is 84F..FC 3, pH 7.4, CYA 70

my water is clean and clear..I can see small kids toys laying on bottomr of pool...but my water is still a little "blurry" when I swim underwater...I can't see really clear when I open my eyes. is there anyway to polish my water yet, and make it completely sparkly, clear?? or am I just being to anal??

Dan

The blurriness has to do with the difference in pH between the water and your eyes. Try wearing swim goggles, it should be clear then. If it's still blurry with the goggles you could try the DE trick.

There are two different kinds of blurry. When opening your eyes under water, the refractive index of water isn't what your eyes are used to (air) so things can be a little burry. Then there is what the water should look like from above, which is crystal clear, almost like the water wasn't there at all.

Your FC level is right on the low end for your CYA level. Try bumping it up to 4, and try the DE trick that Richard320 suggested. That should get the water sparkling.

I run my filter 24/7...it has 200 pounds of sand in it...can I add DE on top of that? and how much?

The water is crystal clear looking at the pool from the deck..it's just swimming in it with eyes open..it's blurry.

Dan

The water acts as a corrective lens due to the different index of refraction from air. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, but I can actually see fairly well under water.

I use the brand name on my main drain as a gauge of water clarity. When I can read it clearly standing on the deck (more than 14' away, with ~8.5 being through water), I know I'm good

Yup. :mrgreen:

FWIW, I just asked my older brother (doctorate in optical physics) this exact question over the weekend, and got the same answer Jason gave. He said if your eyes were really bad, in just the right way, then you'd be able to see perfectly underwater without goggles. I guess JohnT is pretty close...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.