Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: polishing water or am I just too anal??

1. Back To Top    #1

polishing water or am I just too anal??

Hi all...well I've got my pool open..chems are in check..TA is still a touch high..but otherwise all levels are good...temp is 84F..FC 3, pH 7.4, CYA 70

my water is clean and clear..I can see small kids toys laying on bottomr of pool...but my water is still a little "blurry" when I swim underwater...I can't see really clear when I open my eyes. is there anyway to polish my water yet, and make it completely sparkly, clear?? or am I just being to anal??

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: polishing water or am I just too anal??

Get a DE filter.

Or try adding some DE to your sand filter. Search it, I know there was a thread about a week ago on it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The blurriness has to do with the difference in pH between the water and your eyes. Try wearing swim goggles, it should be clear then. If it's still blurry with the goggles you could try the DE trick.
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are two different kinds of blurry. When opening your eyes under water, the refractive index of water isn't what your eyes are used to (air) so things can be a little burry. Then there is what the water should look like from above, which is crystal clear, almost like the water wasn't there at all.

Your FC level is right on the low end for your CYA level. Try bumping it up to 4, and try the DE trick that Richard320 suggested. That should get the water sparkling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Increasing your filter run time may also add sparkle to your pool. Are you currently running your filter at least eight and-one half hours with your water temperature at 84 degrees?
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

6. Back To Top    #6

I run my filter 24/7...it has 200 pounds of sand in it...can I add DE on top of that? and how much?

The water is crystal clear looking at the pool from the deck..it's just swimming in it with eyes open..it's blurry.

Dan
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

7. Back To Top    #7

The water acts as a corrective lens due to the different index of refraction from air. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, but I can actually see fairly well under water.

I use the brand name on my main drain as a gauge of water clarity. When I can read it clearly standing on the deck (more than 14' away, with ~8.5 being through water), I know I'm good
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

so I guess I am just being anal huh???

9. Back To Top    #9

Yup.

FWIW, I just asked my older brother (doctorate in optical physics) this exact question over the weekend, and got the same answer Jason gave. He said if your eyes were really bad, in just the right way, then you'd be able to see perfectly underwater without goggles. I guess JohnT is pretty close...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed
    so I guess I am just being anal huh???
    Nah...just a mild case of sparklypoolitis
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator