Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Confused with Shocking and when to stop

1. Back To Top    #1

Confused with Shocking and when to stop

Hi everyone!
    I've been shocking for the past two days. I had a small area of green algae growing near the steps. Otherwise water is clean and clear. I brought the FC up to shock level (16) and have been trying to hold it there by adding bleach every few hours... Seems to be pretty difficult to hold the FC up though. Even after a half hour or so, it seems to drop down to about 10.
    My most recent test numbers are;
    FC=10
    CC=0
    PH =7.4
    Alk =120
    CYA = 50
    So my question is, if my CC is "0", is it OK to stop now or should I continue adding bleach??
    I'm planning on taking a reading tonight and then another early in the morning to measure my FC drop, but if the CC is at 0, is it even necessary at this point? Guess I'm confused about how long this can go on. I've used about 18 -96 oz bottles of 6% bleach so far. If the FC still drops again by morning, do I have to keep shocking?
    Thanks,
    Travis
    Pebble tech 16000 gal. in-ground.
    PS 233 test kit
    20,000 Gallon In-ground Vinyl Liner
    Hayward Sand Filter
    CompuPool CPSC48 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Confused with Shocking and when to stop

Quote Originally Posted by tmac
    If the FC still drops again by morning, do I have to keep shocking?
    Yes.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally, you will be done shocking when you lose less than 1ppm FC overnight and have .5 CC or less. When you get to that point and your water is sparkling with no signs of algae anywhere, you're good to go!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, keep shocking. You need to meet all of the criteria John listed for the shock process to be completed. Brush the areas where you see algae. It is common to have poor water circulation near pool steps. Be sure you pour some of your bleach in that area and stir it with the brush to take care of the algae growth there. To prevent algae from coming back keep the FC at the high end of the normal range for your pool. Never let the FC drop below minimum levels.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have found that in my pool, the cracks and crevices around the stairs are a breeding ground, so I get in there with a small brush (even a toothbrush) and scrub that area very good. Also, another hiding spot I found was on the underside of the steps on my ladder, mine was COVERED in algae, if that is your case, I would suggest removing the ladder and scrubbing it outside the pool. One final place I found was on the back sides of my skimmers, the trap door and around the back side of the faceplate. Good luck in your battle, but know in the end you will be victorious!
    Matt
    20,000 gallon, sand filter, IG vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the info everyone! Super helpful. Think I'm finally understanding.
    Ok, will continue shocking. FC dropped about 3ppm from last night, so I added more bleach this morn to bring back up to 16, and will continue to monitor.
    Thanks again.
    Travis.
    Hayward Sand Filter
    CompuPool CPSC48 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

A 3ppm drop is not bad, you're getting close.
    13,500 Wilkes Vinyl AG (15'x30' rectangular)
    Hayward Power-Flo LX SP1580, 1HP
    Hayward S-160T High Rate Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

That last little while when you're getting so close can seem to take forever sometimes! But you will get there, just keep at it!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks again everyone! Finally did it!!! Less than a 1ppm drop last night. The FC is holding great! CC=0.
    The pH is up a bit though (7.8). Is that just a false reading because the FC is higher from shocking? Should I adjust now with acid, or wait til my FC drops to *normal* levels ?

This site is sooooo helpful, I can't thank you guys enough.
    It's June-gloom here in Westchester Ca right now, but at least the pool will be ready when the sun comes out and the kids want to jump in!
    Best-
    Travis.
    Hayward Sand Filter
    CompuPool CPSC48 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

The pH is up a bit though (7.8). Is that just a false reading because the FC is higher from shocking?
    Yes. Your pH test will get accurate (lower) when FC drops below 10ppm.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Hang in there...we should have a friday shocking club meeeting...I'm doing it as we speak...grrrr.....duraleigh knows I'm annoyed!!!

My water is crystal clear and shines like diamonds.
    I have no visible algae.
    I have no CCs....
    There's no debris, nothing to indicate a problem and my chemistry looks fine. I'm brushing nothing.

But my pool is consuming FC faster than I consume on a Friday nite and for days I've tested and been losing < = 1 ppm at night. Last night 1.5. Dangit!
    It's an uphill battle during daylight hours but I'm staying on top of it every 2-3 until nightfall.

To help others out who may end up with the same situation...The culprits I think...my skimmer had some oily black gunk (sunscreen gunk?) on the underside of the lid..
    And my stairs were a little stained where my weighted bottles lie...nothing like I used to have (slimy green stuff)

How about if every time we add bleach, we ?
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by poolgirl22
    How about if every time we add bleach, we ?
    Bleach drinking games, huh? Better make sure you keep your liquids straight...don't want to waste precious beer!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

13. Back To Top    #13

Sun melter--
    I will never confuse Clorox with Coors. I promise.

Speaking of which...it's 310pm...time to test and add...white jug in the pool, silver can to me...
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Funny stuff. I can tell you, I'll never confuse my bleach for my vodka.

Pool looks great and all is balanced thanks to you folks and TFP!
    Rock on!
    Travis.
    Hayward Sand Filter
    CompuPool CPSC48 SWG