Thinking about diy ig pool, need pros/cons/experiences

Aug 6, 2007
We have had a 27' AG (buried 2') for over 10 years. We installed it ourselves and are very handy. We have enjoyed the pool greatly. We are moving and would like to install a diy ig vinyl pool. I have never known anyone with one and do not know much about them. I would like any opinions you might have. We have all sand right now but our new land is clay for the first 2' and then small crumbly sandstone partly mixed with clay.

Are they hard to install?
How do they hold up?
How hard is it to put in a new liner if you have to in a few years?
Are there any brands or online dealers that you recommend or that I should avoid?

Thanks,

Linda

shore_pk said:
Are they hard to install?

Yes. The backhoe operator is key to getting the hole right. Still a lot of hard work down in a hole where you don't get any breeze, but you do get plenty of sunlight. Complexity-wise, I'd think somebody fairly handy could do it. The most difficult thing IMO is troweling the bottom and hopper walls in place. If you are located in the Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area, there is a company that will let you hire a foreman who is experienced to oversee your work and the dig.
shore_pk said:
How do they hold up?

Very well. Most everything is set in concrete to keep it in place.

shore_pk said:
How hard is it to put in a new liner if you have to in a few years?

Not much more difficult than an AG liner. It's bigger, so proportionally harder. If the vermiculite mixture is done to the right level, the liner should fit perfectly.

My husband has a small backhoe and can do the work, I believe. We are in TX.

Is it easier if you stick with a simple shape such as a rectangle or oval or kidney? Or does it matter much? I looked at some that were "lagoon" style and loved them but I wasn't sure if this would be too difficult. Also are 4' level ones easier than sloped bottoms?

Thanks again,
Linda

shore_pk said:
My husband has a small backhoe and can do the work, I believe. We are in TX.

Is it easier if you stick with a simple shape such as a rectangle or oval or kidney? Or does it matter much? I looked at some that were "lagoon" style and loved them but I wasn't sure if this would be too difficult. Also are 4' level ones easier than sloped bottoms?

Thanks again,
Linda

The only thing more difficult about the deeper ones would be the dig and the bottom finishing. The walls are the same. For the shape, again the more involved shapes would be harder to dig. Something to consider is that some cover options don't do so well on a non-rectangular pool. Solar covers are much easier on a rectangular pool, and automatic covers are an option if you go with a rectangle too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.