Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thinking about diy ig pool, need pros/cons/experiences

1. Back To Top    #1

Thinking about diy ig pool, need pros/cons/experiences

We have had a 27' AG (buried 2') for over 10 years. We installed it ourselves and are very handy. We have enjoyed the pool greatly. We are moving and would like to install a diy ig vinyl pool. I have never known anyone with one and do not know much about them. I would like any opinions you might have. We have all sand right now but our new land is clay for the first 2' and then small crumbly sandstone partly mixed with clay.

Are they hard to install?
    How do they hold up?
    How hard is it to put in a new liner if you have to in a few years?
    Are there any brands or online dealers that you recommend or that I should avoid?

Thanks,

Linda
    22,000 rectangle pool with custom inpool steps sand filter and new autopilot swg

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sorry, cannot help you. but wanted to say welcome! You will get good advice from the knowledgeable folks here!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Thinking about diy ig pool, need pros/cons/experiences

Quote Originally Posted by shore_pk
    Are they hard to install?
    Yes. The backhoe operator is key to getting the hole right. Still a lot of hard work down in a hole where you don't get any breeze, but you do get plenty of sunlight. Complexity-wise, I'd think somebody fairly handy could do it. The most difficult thing IMO is troweling the bottom and hopper walls in place. If you are located in the Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee area, there is a company that will let you hire a foreman who is experienced to oversee your work and the dig.
    How do they hold up?
    Very well. Most everything is set in concrete to keep it in place.

How hard is it to put in a new liner if you have to in a few years?
    Not much more difficult than an AG liner. It's bigger, so proportionally harder. If the vermiculite mixture is done to the right level, the liner should fit perfectly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    My husband has a small backhoe and can do the work, I believe. We are in TX.

Is it easier if you stick with a simple shape such as a rectangle or oval or kidney? Or does it matter much? I looked at some that were "lagoon" style and loved them but I wasn't sure if this would be too difficult. Also are 4' level ones easier than sloped bottoms?

Thanks again,
    Linda
    22,000 rectangle pool with custom inpool steps sand filter and new autopilot swg

5. Back To Top    #5
    My husband has a small backhoe and can do the work, I believe. We are in TX.

Is it easier if you stick with a simple shape such as a rectangle or oval or kidney? Or does it matter much? I looked at some that were "lagoon" style and loved them but I wasn't sure if this would be too difficult. Also are 4' level ones easier than sloped bottoms?

Thanks again,
    Linda
    The only thing more difficult about the deeper ones would be the dig and the bottom finishing. The walls are the same. For the shape, again the more involved shapes would be harder to dig. Something to consider is that some cover options don't do so well on a non-rectangular pool. Solar covers are much easier on a rectangular pool, and automatic covers are an option if you go with a rectangle too.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat