20 Chlorine Bottles
    12lbs of Shock

FC: 3
    CC: 3
    CYA: 40
    TA- 80
    CH- 280
    PH-7.4

Pool set for 2 years by a previous owner. When opening the pool it had a tint of green in the deep end. I've shocked the pool 3 times and held 15-20FC for more than 24-48 hours adding chlorine in on the hour. Vacuuming pool every morning when I see what I think is a bunch of dead algae on the bottom. The pool now is clear but not holding FC very well. I've been trying to keep FC at 5-8, however it disappearing. Ran the over night test and FC dropped from 5ppm to nearly .5ppm.

Not sure what to try next?
    24K Gallon 16X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S220T Sand Filter with 3/4 HP Pentair Superflo.
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Disappearing Fast

Keep FC at shock level until the FC holds overnight, CC is 0.5 or less, and the water looks good. Currently you are only 1 for 3; not done yet!

You probably don't want to use any more powdered chlorine; your CYA and CH are both to a point where it's probably not advisable to raise them any higher, and nearly every kind of powdered chlorine will raise one or the other of those parameters. Stick with liquid.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

3. Back To Top    #3

as long as your CC is over 0.5, it'll keep demanding free chlorine because it's probably still burning out the chloramines.
    14'x28' vinyl liner inground 3.5-6' deep wedge hopper 15000 gal (used to say 13000- I calculated wrong), 1 hp pump with sand filter, 2 returns, 1 fountain, traditional chlorinated, pool house.

4. Back To Top    #4

Vacuuming up as much of the dead algae as you can will speed up the process.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I heard with high CC the best way to burn it off is to let the pool get a lot of Sunlight?
    24K Gallon 16X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S220T Sand Filter with 3/4 HP Pentair Superflo.
    Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, sunlight will help a lot; if you have a cover, leave it off. But you still need to maintain your FC until you pass the overnight test.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page