Hello pool people!

ElkPool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2010
Elkridge, MD
I'm Rob from Elkridge, MD. My wife Stephanie and I moved into our house last fall, and are only opening up the pool now. The previous owner had been sick, and the house took a long time to sell after his passing, so the pool water had been sitting in there covered for years.

Through research, and also some trial and error, I'm pretty sure the water is just about ready now...it's still a bit cloudy, the pH has been harder than I expected to keep high enough (even with alkalinity in the acceptable range), and I still can't figure out how my vacuum is supposed to work (it came with the house so I don't have an instruction manual...neither the vacuum or the suction thingie it plugs into are threaded or anything...it just floats right out unless someone holds it there!)

Anyway, I am looking to learn a lot here, and get to know many of you. I am going to use regular pool chemicals this year, but possibly switch to BBB next season once I learn more about it and understand how many trips to the grocery store it would entail. :)

Welcome to TFP.

Sounds like you have a suction side cleaner. Your vacuum plate is designed to be held into place by the vacuum created by the pump. I place mine in the skimmer while the pump is running. You'll need to learn to fill the hose up with water before plugging it into the plate.

If yours is not a suction side cleaner just disregard the above advice.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to describe what I have as best I can...I'll take pictures if necessary, as I still don't know all the right terminology.

About a foot or two below my skimmer is the suction valve thingie. That's where I try to put the vacuum, but it floats out eventually. I had filled the vacuum hose completely with water, so I don't think that would have been a problem.

I can't feel a lot of suction at the valve, but I can feel the filtered water coming out pretty hard from the skimmer, so the suction must be adequate since there's no other water source (right?)

And yes, before you ask, I did turn the filter back on before attempting to use the vacuum :)

I'm no help with the vacuum question, but welcome to the forum. I've learned so much since I've been here. It's amazing how much information is contained on this one site. If I have any advice to offer, it would be to get your own test kit (either the Taylor K-2006 or TFTestKit.com TF-100). You can see a comparison of them here. Even if you decide not to do the BBB method, you will learn so much about your pool water and what effect the chemicals from the pool store have, you'll be amazed at how much control you have over your pool.

The other advantage is that with the results from either of those test kits, the moderators and experts on here can walk you through any problems you encounter regardless of the method you're using to care for your pool.

Again, welcome and I hope you get that vac figured out. I'd be in serious trouble without mine!! As they say "pictures are worth 1000 words" and might make it easier to understand your setup.

-- Pete

Thanks. I do have the Taylor K2006 test kit--I trust it works well, even though it doesn't usually give the results I'm hoping for :) There were a couple old test kits that came with the house--they seem to still work okay, but I'm glad I bought a new kit because it checks for things like calcium hardness and CYA, both of which were virtually nonexistent in the water when the pool was opened.

I have a whole bunch of questions...Should I just create a topic in Just Getting Started with all my questions, or should each issue be a separate post?

I have test results and photos and everything.

I'm going to go ahead and become a supporter right now, in anticipation of how helpful everyone will be :)

Welcome to TFP!!

Once your status is upgraded, please post the pics. I suspect that you have an equalizer line in the skimmer (useless! stupid! ...:rant: ) which is no good for vacuuming!

Once we know your skimmer setup, we'll be able to help with the vacuuming issues :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support