In floor cleaner with no returns

mud

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2010
I'm having a Paramount PV3 system installed and as a result, PB is not planning on installing any extra return lines but instead all water will return through the in floor pop ups. Good or bad and why?

This is a fairly common setup, though it isn't ideal. In-floor systems usually need to run at a higher pressure than ordinary returns do. High pressure means more electricity and lower water flow. Typically, the in-floor system doesn't need to be on all the time to get it's job done. So it would be possible to have both an in-floor system and normal returns and switch between them and save electricity. To make use of that you would need an automation system and more total plumbing, so noticeable up front costs, to save money on electricity in the long run.

In floor will be on a booster pump so when booster pump is off, water will be returned through the in floor system but at a lower pressure so heads will still pop up I presume but won't have the flow required to clean.

I would be more concerned if the in floor breaks in the future (hopefully a long time in the future) and I need to use the in floor heads as just regular returns how that would be done. Can the heads be replaced by just a regular return if needed? DW always makes fun of me for thinking of these long term scenarios but as an engineer I can't help myself. :-D

BAD!

Mine is set up similarly (I have wall returns, but they're one of my "zones"), and it's a huge pain. If it were me, I would have the PB install wall returns, and have them plumbed separately from the in-floor system with a 3-way valve sending flow either to the in-floor heads or the wall returns. I wish I could use only my wall returns, and such a setup would make that possible.

Why a booster pump? I don't think that's necessary. Your VS pump will have plenty of power, and you could automate it entirely with the easytouch (i think). You'd just have to run it at higher speed.

I hope that makes sense. I hate how my system is set up!

PB saw the light and added 3 separate returns. They are not a zone on the in-floor system.

Reason for the booster pump is Paramount didn't believe the 4x160 would be enough with the solar system I plan to install at some point.

You can see 1 of the returns and some of the crazy in-floor plumbing here:
DSC_0623.JPG

mud said:
PB saw the light and added 3 separate returns. They are not a zone on the in-floor system.

Good! I'm envious... :evil:

Reason for the booster pump is Paramount didn't believe the 4x160 would be enough with the solar system I plan to install at some point.

Hopefully some of the hydraulics folks will comment, but I have a hard time believing that VS pump wouldn't be able to handle it. :?: How many heads per zone will you have?

Oh, I recognize that from another thread... :-D Your pool is going to be great!

I have a 1.5 SFHP pump, also with 3-5 heads/zone. The VS is a 3.95 SFHP pump (I think). Even with solar, that seems like more than enough. On the drawing it states 60 gpm @ 70' of head; according to the chart posted in this thread, it looks like the VS would hit that at about 3000 rpm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.