What type of cleaner for my pool?

Nov 25, 2009
Cleona, PA
I am starting to look at automatic cleaners. I've seen some that do the sides of above ground pools.

My above ground is basically rectangular, although the frame is rounded at the corners. The bottom is 4', but there is a ledge that is only 3' deep that runs around the edge of the whole pool. It's 3' down, 1' out, then slopes to the 4' depth.)

Some cleaners say only flat bottom pools, so I assume they're out.

I have one skimmer. I've thought about putting in a dedicated suction port with a 3 way control tying into the main skimmer/suction line. I don't think I'll go robotic, to much $$$ for me.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm just trying to isolate what type, but particular model suggestions are welcome also.

I guess you should look at IG pool cleaners but they are rarely "cheap" either, especially a cleaner that crawls the walls.

So, in ground style cleaners. I'm for it. Might have to save a bit longer.

How about adding a suction port? The current vacuum I use is a Skim vac, that sits on top of the filter basket. I was thinking about a separate suction port I could plug the vacuum into and maybe have an inline basket? Any thoughts on that?

mkenyon2 said:
So, in ground style cleaners. I'm for it. Might have to save a bit longer.

How about adding a suction port? The current vacuum I use is a Skim vac, that sits on top of the filter basket. I was thinking about a separate suction port I could plug the vacuum into and maybe have an inline basket? Any thoughts on that?

I'm going to let the experts advise about the vac port but an FYI. I have a vacuum Tracker 4X that I've just started using full time. I have other cleaners too but with this I don't have to run my Polaris booster for many hours a day. It was consuming huge amounts of electricity. I have to run the cleaner daily. I'm currently using the skimmer but I'm converting my dedicated pressure port over to a vacuum port very soon. That will be a lot less hassle as than fooling with the pump and skimmer basket every time I run the Tracker.

The Tracker is the very same cleaner as The Pool Cleaner, made by POOLVERGNUEGEN. In fact POOLVERGNUEGEN made the Tracker for Jacuzzi. I and those of us who use them LOVE them.

Tracker is no longer being made as and labeled as by Poolvergnuegen BUT you can purchase one from Inyo Pools.http://www.inyopools.com/cleaners_jacuzzi.aspx
at considerable savings. $239 for the four wheel model vs around $400 for the same model with the one labeled "The Pool Cleaner"

Inyo doesn't have the two wheel tracker available any more but they still have the four wheel. The main difference it that the 4 wheel goes a longer distance before it executes its turning maneuvers.

You can do a search on the forum, very bottom left, for "The Pool Cleaner" and "Tracker" to see what others have to say about theirs. I have fallen in love with mine now that I am using it and especially since I found out how much my booster pump was costing me to keep the pool clean, $100-$200 a month. :shock: I had to run it about 10 hours a day but only have to run the Tracker 2 hours, most days. Because the dust isn't getting stirred up by Polaris I can go five days now between skimmer sock changes. With Polaris I had to change the skimmer sock twice daily minimum. I, also, had to use the disposable EZ bags with the Polaris, as my fine stuff goes through every other material. Those were running me about $3.00 per for less than three days use or about 30 hours per bag. I did clean them out but the "fabric" began to break down after about 30 hours use.

I use an inline leaf canister on the vac hose to collect the larger stuff so it won't go to the pump basket. I have the large one for fall=leaves but during this time a much smaller one would be more than enough to capture the larger debris.

Someone commented that you don't get the warranty when purchasing the "close out" Trackers. When I purchased mine last fall several of the hose sections had small punctures. I patched them using a lot of Silicone, stretch mending tape, but didn't get them all repaired. A couple of weeks ago I called Inyo about that. They called POOLVERGNUEGEN and they are sending me a whole new set of vac hoses.

The very same replacement parts for The Pool Cleaner are used for the Tracker as they are the same cleaner. I'm seriously considering purchasing a second Tracker for the parts and extra vac hose. At $239 you can't beat the savings when it comes to replacing worn parts. I'll use the new one, now to make sure everything is working properly especially its hose and if there are any problems, immediately get in touch with Inyo. BTW... I emailed them on a Sunday and, early Monday morning I had a response letting me know that I would be getting the new hose. Pretty darn good customer service.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.