Great site

Jun 2, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Hello,

I just stumbled over your site and I am so glad I found it. I have had a 15K gal Salt water pool for 5 years now and still I struggle with the chemistry. We live in the sticks, and use well water to fill the pool and I think that is part of the problem but maybe it's just me and my lack of experience. This is my first pool. I can never seem to get the chemicals right based on the little booklet left behind to me when we bought the house. I will also go through your pool school soon.

I found answers to my first 2 questions already. :cheers:

Also I want to add THANK YOU for the RSS FEED because so many forums don't have that and I pretty much have to have that to stay active & useful on a forum. So thanks! I would be lost without my google reader.

Sonflower

Welcome, Sonflower,

Regardless of your source water, we'll help you get your pool sparkling soon. All the info will seem a little intimidating at first but the learning curve is very steep.

duraleigh said:
Welcome, Sonflower,

Regardless of your source water, we'll help you get your pool sparkling soon. All the info will seem a little intimidating at first but the learning curve is very steep.

Dave you are so right. IT IS VERY OVERWHELMING to me.

So, I continue to say, thanks for your patience with my questions.

For example, I pd $100 for Pulliam Pool School & a man came out to my home to walk me through my routine chemical maintenance. This was 2 yrs ago. (For the first 3 summers, I was just getting by on a wing and a prayer, reading the swimming pool materials left behind by previous owners. If it's wasn't green, it must be ok was my logic. Terrible logic.) The day he came out, I had recently broken my back, was in a brace & moving pretty slowly. He was very rushed, impatient and not exactly eager for me to get and retain information (in other words a terrible teacher). I took a TON of notes, none of which mention stabilizer.

Today I call Pulliam w/a question. They commented nonchalantly my stabilizer has to be at optimum for me to shock my pool.

I said, what is stabilizer? Oh, that is a separate kit. Well, I've never tested that. Then, you must be low on stabilizer.

Now I am going to take a water sample to my local pool guru and see if they can assist in getting me set up to test that. With bruised pride I truly do hate having my hand held over this and feel quite stupid. Hope you folks don't mind me being transparent. Many talents have I but chemistry, no.

Order your own test kit ASAP. It's the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. In a week or so, you'll hardly have to even glance at the directions. Once you get the numbers, plug them into The Pool Calculator, add what's indicated, and enjoy. I'm pretty sure everyone here has the calculator bookmarked, and near the top.

Be sure to read in Pool School. It will answer many questions before you even think to ask them.

And welcome :wave:

Richard320 said:
Order your own test kit ASAP. It's the best money you'll ever spend on your pool. In a week or so, you'll hardly have to even glance at the directions. Once you get the numbers, plug them into The Pool Calculator, add what's indicated, and enjoy. I'm pretty sure everyone here has the calculator bookmarked, and near the top.

Be sure to read in Pool School. It will answer many questions before you even think to ask them.

And welcome :wave:
OK I have ordered the "Chlorine FAS DPD" kit

I need to get my Taylor K 1766 kit for salt water testing coz i don't trust my Aqua Rite.

Also will read the Pool School.