New Pool Owner in Northern NJ

jojijr

May 26, 2010
Morris County, NJ
What a great site! The breath of knowledge can be daunting at times. It's perfect for people who love soaking up knowledge!

First off here are my results after getting comfortable with the TF100. I shocked the pool based a preliminary results since the CC was at 1.0 prior.

FC = 10
CC = 0.5 (I am thinking less because it was ever so slight)
PH = 7.2 (or maybe less since I wasn't sure of the shading but certainly no where near 6.8)
TA = 140 (not sure what I need to do to lower it)
CH = 300 (Turned blue but are there supposed to be small blobs of pink or does the test require the blobs to turn blue as well. My first test I went to 350 to see if i could get rid of blobs )
CYA = a little less than 30

Anyways, just wondering what to do now besides a FC drop test tonight. Any suggestions besides that? Am I on the right track? Should I wait for FC to drop before using the pool? Do I need to add more chlorine? Namco by me is selling 6% gallons at $0.99. Is that good? Should I buy a lot?

Also how can you tell the inline chlorine feeder is even working? I put pucks in and put the gauge at 3 a week ago and there are still 3 pucks. Also, would heating the water change chemistry? Haven't turned it on because I was afraid it would. Also it has been raining on and off? Is that something to worry about as well?

Also I think I have a solar cover in the shed but haven't really opened it up. When should I be using it?

Sorry for all the questions... When I bought the home the pool was closed already and never really took inventory until we had it opened. BTW, still bent out of shape because I felt like I learned nothing from the people who opened it. Also when the time comes does anyone recommend anyone who closes pools? I am thinking of doing it myself but I don't want to screw up the plumbing!

Thanks again in advance!

I'll answer a couple of questions...

1. I would leave your TA alone for now. You may never have to adjust it even though it's a little higher than normal. Disregard the blobs in your CH test....it's a known interference and does not invalidate the test. Count your CH as 300.

2. Do not count on the tabs to bring your CYA up unless you want to burn up a lot of tabs. I'd save them for when you go on vacation. Purchase enough CYA sepeartely to get your CYA up to around 50ppm.

3. How does your water look? I am surmising it's very clear. Any signs of algae?

Sounds like you're off on the right foot.
Get the overnight loss test out of the way before you worry about anything else.
You can swim up to shock level for your CYA.
You can read the Lowering Total Alkalinity article in Pool School. But I wouldn't worry about lowering it right now.
If the bleach is 6% and gallons then I'd say that's a good price. Keep in mind that most of the time bleach is sold on 96oz containers not gallons. Still 99¢ isn't a bad price. Shop around! :)

duraleigh said:
I'll answer a couple of questions...

1. I would leave your TA alone for now. You may never have to adjust it even though it's a little higher than normal. Disregard the blobs in your CH test....it's a known interference and does not invalidate the test. Count your CH as 300. Thank goodness (for now). Scratching my head on how to reduce without decreasing PH.

2. Do not count on the tabs to bring your CYA up unless you want to burn up a lot of tabs. I'd save them for when you go on vacation. Purchase enough CYA sepeartely to get your CYA up to around 50ppm. Ok. Any nifty names I should be looking for? Or just go the pool store and ask for CYA?

3. How does your water look? I am surmising it's very clear. Any signs of algae? Very clear. No signs of algae. Just have to keep skimming because of the trees.

Bama Rambler said:
Sounds like you're off on the right foot.
Get the overnight loss test out of the way before you worry about anything else.
You can swim up to shock level for your CYA.
You can read the Lowering Total Alkalinity article in Pool School. But I wouldn't worry about lowering it right now.
If the bleach is 6% and gallons then I'd say that's a good price. Keep in mind that most of the time bleach is sold on 96oz containers not gallons. Still 99¢ isn't a bad price. Shop around! :)

Cool. Here is the link for anyone who is interested. I guess for Namco it is called Econoshock (which I believe is 6%).
http://www.namcopoolstore.com/pdf/Flyer.pdf

Good morning! Just performed finished up my second reading for the overnight test.

Prior night
FC = 8.5
CC = 0.5 (however slighter than the above reading)
PH = 7.2

This morning
FC = 7.0
CC = 0.5 (more slight to the point it is harder to tell when it turns color)
PH = 7.2
CYA = 35

So do you think I need to bring up to shock level again since there is a 1.5 difference? Also after my first reading yesterday, I threw six 3" pucks in a floater and removed it right before my night reading. Would that have affected CYA? I figured I'd use them since I have a boat load of them and stop using them when I am at proper CYA.

Bama Rambler said:
With a loss of 1½ I'd keep shocking.

Okee doke! Continuing shocking! Btw, there wasn't a limit on buying the 6%. I bought 2 dozen and might go back and buy more!

Quick question? How much does the tree dropping (i think it is pollen, greenish and brown) affect chlorine levels? I always wake up to a nice coating on the surface every morning. I guess I need to get use to skimming everyday!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. I think I am well on my way now. Though I wonder if no FC loss is possible. I had a good feeling but didn't think it would be that good. I will test again tonight just to validate my results. Also I notice that other pool owners on the forum have been registering 0 CC. I am wondering if it is achievable for my pool. There is always an ever so slight hue change when I am adding the drops for that test. I guess it is different for everyone. Duraleigh, you weren't kidding about burning up tabs to bring up CYA. I am thinking it will take a month of the floater and chlorinator to get CYA up. Good thing I have plenty to burn up. I wish I got to the forum before buying the lot.

FC = 10
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.3
TA = 130
CH = 300
CYA = 36

Thanks again to this forum. If anything I've learned is patience is key in getting an ideal pool (with a little elbow grease).

jojijr said:
Ok. I think I am well on my way now. Though I wonder if no FC loss is possible. Yep, it is. It just takes time. I had a good feeling but didn't think it would be that good. I will test again tonight just to validate my results. Also I notice that other pool owners on the forum have been registering 0 CC. I am wondering if it is achievable for my pool. Again, yes. It takes time. There is always an ever so slight hue change when I am adding the drops for that test. I guess it is different for everyone. Duraleigh, you weren't kidding about burning up tabs to bring up CYA. I am thinking it will take a month of the floater and chlorinator to get CYA up. Good thing I have plenty to burn up. I wish I got to the forum before buying the lot.

FC = 10
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.3
TA = 130
CH = 300
CYA = 36

Thanks again to this forum. If anything I've learned is patience is key in getting an ideal pool (with a little elbow grease). Yes it is. I play a patient pool owner on TV. It's the toughest part of this whole thing. Just keep pressing on.

Feel free to post your FC checks and additions and to what level you are adding throughout the day.

poolgirl22 said:
jojijr said:
Ok. I think I am well on my way now. Though I wonder if no FC loss is possible. Yep, it is. It just takes time. I had a good feeling but didn't think it would be that good. I will test again tonight just to validate my results. Also I notice that other pool owners on the forum have been registering 0 CC. I am wondering if it is achievable for my pool. Again, yes. It takes time. There is always an ever so slight hue change when I am adding the drops for that test. I guess it is different for everyone. Duraleigh, you weren't kidding about burning up tabs to bring up CYA. I am thinking it will take a month of the floater and chlorinator to get CYA up. Good thing I have plenty to burn up. I wish I got to the forum before buying the lot.

FC = 10
CC = 0.5
PH = 7.3
TA = 130
CH = 300
CYA = 36

Thanks again to this forum. If anything I've learned is patience is key in getting an ideal pool (with a little elbow grease). Yes it is. I play a patient pool owner on TV. It's the toughest part of this whole thing. Just keep pressing on.

Feel free to post your FC checks and additions and to what level you are adding throughout the day.

I just realized I wasn't very specific with my post. This past night I had 0 FC loss. I tested twice to make sure because I was a bit shocked. But what bothers me is I still have a very slight CC. < 0.5 CC. I guess I should test again tonight to validate anyway. And if it tests out ok tomorrow, I'll be more of a believer. :cheers: I am with you on the patience! Murphy's Law always seems to get me though!

As long as your FC holds overnight you don't need to worry about CC when it is .5 or less, which is what you have. You can bring it up to shock level again tonight and do another overnight test if you want to double check, but you should be finished shocking now.

zea3 said:
As long as your FC holds overnight you don't need to worry about CC when it is .5 or less, which is what you have. You can bring it up to shock level again tonight and do another overnight test if you want to double check, but you should be finished shocking now.

Very cool! I will do as suggested. Now I just need to work on the alkalinity but it seems like it is improving over time. Not sure what is doing it? The breezey days? (aeration). I just had a couple of questions.

1. In filling the pool with more water, I am figuring I need more chlorine. Is there calculation for every inch of water added how much chlorine to add? Is it significant?
2. Would a solar cover help with water loss? And would it also help with those stormy days when the more than usual gets in the pool? Might also help with the critters I find dead in the pool..
3. Any suggestions on emptying the filter basket? I don't think I have much success emptying without the water pooling. The equipment sits below the pool from far away. There is a valve I turned to shut off the skimmer and and the other suction line but then it seems to still pool water (i am thinking from the filter maybe). Maybe I should take pictures and post?

A couple of inches of water shouldn't make that much difference that daily chlorine additions won't take care of. Just test in the evening and add it as you normally would. Yes, a solar cover cuts down on evaporation and UV destruction of the FC.
Shut valves are my only suggestion - if you want to post a pic for some tips, that'd be ok...:)

I also have a setup below water level. Besides the skimmer and drain valves, you should set your multi-port filter valve to Closed if you don't want flow out of the pump basket. Just REMEMBER to put it back to FILTER before restarting. Water will backflow through the return lines and the filter to exit the pump basket. I just let mine flow and don't close any valves if I am just cleaning the basket. It washes the crud out of the trap chamber and then I take the empty trap basket and bounce it up and down in the flowing water to get more crud out of it. Closing the top against the flow is no problem and it gets the air out of the chamber. But my setup is outside down grade from the pool so I don't care about a few gallons of overflow.

Welcome jojijr. The price for the 6% is excellent! I will be stopping by my local namco to pick some up. Thanks for the heads up. I usually buy the 12.5%, but you definitely can't beat that price. I saw them when I went in to get my start up supplies. This is the first time I have ever seen the 6% there. I think someone has been lurking here and realized the sales potential....lol. BTW, namco calls the CYA "conditioner". I always buy mine there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.