Borates

Just added them to my pool. Love it :-D Water seems softer and the bug population has dropped. I too, don't have a problem with algae nor pH drift, but thought I would do it anyway. Glad I did.

I certainly noticed a significant improvement in both sparkle and water feel after adding borates. The majority of people who try it like borates, but a few people don't notice any difference and consider it a waste of money/effort.

I've been thinking about adding borates to my pool, now that my ammonia problems are behind me, but my TA is in the 180 ppm range right now (I did a partial drain and refill to help with the aforementioned ammonia problem and local water supply TA is >300 ppm). In the So-you-want-to-add-borates sticky, it says: 1. First, adjust your TA to your target value. (This is actually the hardest part of this whole procedure.) This should be around 70-80 ppm for SWGs.

Questions:
* Do I truly need to get the TA down to the 70-80 ppm level before adding borates? If so, why? What will be hurt?
* Or, can I use the borates to raise the pH and then add corresponding levels of acid and thereby have a net reduction in my TA?

As always, I appreciate the help.

You can add borates before or after lowering your TA. Many people find lowering TA after adding borates to be more difficult, but it still works.

The combination of adding borax and acid causes a small net increase in the TA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.