Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

Borates

I was thinking about doing this, but how much does it really help? I do not have any real issues with pH moving and no algae or anything. Would I see any advantages of doing this? Also how do you test for borates?

Thanks.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borates

Borate test strips.
    I don't use borates...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

4. Back To Top    #4

Just added them to my pool. Love it Water seems softer and the bug population has dropped. I too, don't have a problem with algae nor pH drift, but thought I would do it anyway. Glad I did.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I certainly noticed a significant improvement in both sparkle and water feel after adding borates. The majority of people who try it like borates, but a few people don't notice any difference and consider it a waste of money/effort.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been thinking about adding borates to my pool, now that my ammonia problems are behind me, but my TA is in the 180 ppm range right now (I did a partial drain and refill to help with the aforementioned ammonia problem and local water supply TA is >300 ppm). In the So-you-want-to-add-borates sticky, it says: 1. First, adjust your TA to your target value. (This is actually the hardest part of this whole procedure.) This should be around 70-80 ppm for SWGs.

Questions:
    * Do I truly need to get the TA down to the 70-80 ppm level before adding borates? If so, why? What will be hurt?
    * Or, can I use the borates to raise the pH and then add corresponding levels of acid and thereby have a net reduction in my TA?

As always, I appreciate the help.
    ~23,000 gallons 18' x 36', sand filter 62 gpm, IG, vinyl, Sta-Rite 1hp pump, SWG Circupool RJ-30, Indianapolis

7. Back To Top    #7

You can add borates before or after lowering your TA. Many people find lowering TA after adding borates to be more difficult, but it still works.

The combination of adding borax and acid causes a small net increase in the TA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I'll work to get the TA down and then add the borates. As always, thanks for the help!
    ~23,000 gallons 18' x 36', sand filter 62 gpm, IG, vinyl, Sta-Rite 1hp pump, SWG Circupool RJ-30, Indianapolis

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Borate test strips.
    I don't use borates...
    Where can you pick them up at, I assume any pool store place?

So I am dumbfounded, why test strips are so inaccurate for everything else, why do you use them for borates?

Thanks.

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL, I know.
    You can try Leslie's, but you may have to order them on line. TFtestkits.net sells them, among others.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't think anyone makes a good drop based test for borates. Fortunately, you don't need to be at all precise about your borate level.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    LOL, I know.
    You can try Leslie's, but you may have to order them on line. TFtestkits.net sells them, among others.
    Yea I saw tftestkits has them. I may give it a try, but that is a lot of acid and borax. Mine says like 5 gallons of acid and 17 boxes for borax.