impeller removal problem

Jun 2, 2010
Boston-ish
Need to replace pump seal. Have removed diffuser and back of motor with no trouble. The motor shaft is round, but I've been able to secure it in place as needed so that it doesn't spin with the impeller. But the impeller will not come off. It just keeps turning when it should be coming off. Is it possible something is stripped? Or have I missed something.

Welcome to TFP :wave: What pump are you working on? Some pumps have a bolted on impeller. There may be a cover over the bolt on front of the impeller removing that will give you access to the bolt. Of course it could just be stripped. We hope not.

Hayward. I don't see a bolt on the impeller end. There's a small nipple, but it looks like a molded part of the impeller, not something that's removable or large enough to be hiding a bolt of any kind.

What am I in for if it's stripped?

Thanks for the help and the welcome. Though this is my first post asking for help, it's not my first time on the site, learning. Great site here.

I have removed the impeller from a Hayward Max Flow and Hayward Super Pump, so my experience is limited to those two. On the ones I've done, the end of the motor shaft (where the power cord attaches) is flattened on two sides. You can use a wrench (not sure the size) to hold that in place and then turn the impeller. The impeller was really hard to turn, but finally did.

I guess I'm asking if you're 100% sure the motor shaft isn't turning.

100% sure.

Since the shaft is round, I'm using grips not a wrench, but I've been able to watch the shaft at the end of the motor and even, through the cracks, the shaft inside the main motor housing while I'm turning the impeller. The shaft is not moving as I turn the impeller. And yet the impeller just keeps spinning and spinning....and spinning.

If I let the shaft go and turn the impeller, they both spin together. So I know it's connected somehow. But disconnecting is not so very much good.

Ok, I've got this problem too. What's the best way to break-off the old impeller? Went on vacation last week and came home to a dead motor. When I took apart pump, impeller looked like it was on a slight angle but not much. The impeller came off the old motor but I couldn't tighten it on the new motor. When I started it up, it smoked (duh). I'm fine with purchasing a new impeller, but getting it off seems a problem. Would love to hear how others have done it or would recommend doing it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I took a hacksaw and cut the impeller in half until I hit the drive shaft of the motor. It split almost entirely at that point after prying it at the base. The rest came off by using the hack saw blade alone, without the saw handle. It took about 25 minutes (including the extended pauses where I was second-guessing myself).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.