Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: impeller removal problem

1. Back To Top    #1

impeller removal problem

Need to replace pump seal. Have removed diffuser and back of motor with no trouble. The motor shaft is round, but I've been able to secure it in place as needed so that it doesn't spin with the impeller. But the impeller will not come off. It just keeps turning when it should be coming off. Is it possible something is stripped? Or have I missed something.
    ------------
    18x36, 25,000 gal in-ground, 4' to 9' deep. vinyl liner with 3/4 hp motor on earth filter. inline double canister chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: impeller removal problem

Welcome to TFP What pump are you working on? Some pumps have a bolted on impeller. There may be a cover over the bolt on front of the impeller removing that will give you access to the bolt. Of course it could just be stripped. We hope not.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward. I don't see a bolt on the impeller end. There's a small nipple, but it looks like a molded part of the impeller, not something that's removable or large enough to be hiding a bolt of any kind.

What am I in for if it's stripped?

Thanks for the help and the welcome. Though this is my first post asking for help, it's not my first time on the site, learning. Great site here.
    ------------
    18x36, 25,000 gal in-ground, 4' to 9' deep. vinyl liner with 3/4 hp motor on earth filter. inline double canister chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

I have removed the impeller from a Hayward Max Flow and Hayward Super Pump, so my experience is limited to those two. On the ones I've done, the end of the motor shaft (where the power cord attaches) is flattened on two sides. You can use a wrench (not sure the size) to hold that in place and then turn the impeller. The impeller was really hard to turn, but finally did.

I guess I'm asking if you're 100% sure the motor shaft isn't turning.
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

5. Back To Top    #5

100% sure.

Since the shaft is round, I'm using grips not a wrench, but I've been able to watch the shaft at the end of the motor and even, through the cracks, the shaft inside the main motor housing while I'm turning the impeller. The shaft is not moving as I turn the impeller. And yet the impeller just keeps spinning and spinning....and spinning.

If I let the shaft go and turn the impeller, they both spin together. So I know it's connected somehow. But disconnecting is not so very much good.
    ------------

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like the hub may be stripped and if so you're probably going to have to destroy it to get it off. It's no good like it is so you won't be loosing anything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

you mean break the impeller and throw a new one on? will that be possible?

planning to bring it by the pool store today to confirm i'm not just a boob.
    ------------

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah. If the hub is stripped out of the impeller you'll just have to break the old one off then remove the hub from the shaft and install a new impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, I've got this problem too. What's the best way to break-off the old impeller? Went on vacation last week and came home to a dead motor. When I took apart pump, impeller looked like it was on a slight angle but not much. The impeller came off the old motor but I couldn't tighten it on the new motor. When I started it up, it smoked (duh). I'm fine with purchasing a new impeller, but getting it off seems a problem. Would love to hear how others have done it or would recommend doing it.

10. Back To Top    #10

There's no graceful way of doing it. I usually take a pair of pliers and just break it off a piece at the time. you could take a cutter (circular or vibrating) and cut it apart then break it off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks. I took a hacksaw and cut the impeller in half until I hit the drive shaft of the motor. It split almost entirely at that point after prying it at the base. The rest came off by using the hack saw blade alone, without the saw handle. It took about 25 minutes (including the extended pauses where I was second-guessing myself).