Neophite pool issues

Jun 1, 2010
Ok, I wish I would have found this site a few weeks ago. I have a 3800 gallon summer escape pool, (not the blow up kind). I set it up a two weeks ago and tested. Given the numbers I added 8oz of dichlor and retested 24 hrs later, FC was zero, added another 8 oz of dichlor tested 12 hrs later and FC was again zero. So I tested the CYA it was zero. I'm using a HTH 6 way test kit from Wally World. So then I bought some HTH stabilizer and added one pound in a sock for the last week, tested again last night and the CYA still doesn't show up. I did clean my filter this weekend which maybe I shouldn't have done that. I also added about a pound of Arm & Hammer to raise PH and TA, which it did. During the course of the last two weeks I have added a total of 6 1" tabs in the filter. I live in ND so its not real warm here yet.

I did go to wally world and buy two gallons of bleach.

Here are my current readings:

FC=0
PH= 6.8
TA= 80
CYA= 0

Should I go back and follow the beginners guide for seasonal/temporary pools?

Thanks for the help.

Since your CYA was at 0, your CYA may have been converted to ammonia by bacteria. If this is the case you will need LOTS of bleach (chlorine).

At this point you want to stop using dichlor and trichlor (tabs). Dichlor and Trichlor add CYA, and based on what you have already added you don't need any more.

You want to shock to a FC level based on the predicted CYA level given all the CYA, Dichlor, and Trichlor you added.

Check out the links in my signature for How to Shock, FC/CYA Chart, and Pool Calculator.

Remember, shock is a process not a product. If you do have the CYA->Ammonia issue you will need a lot of patience (and bleach).

This is an Intex-type seasonal pool, that was filled with fresh fill 2 weeks ago, right?
If you can't get the FC to hold after another Dichlor addition you should drain it and start over, it will probably be easier.

frustratedpoolmom said:
This is an Intex-type seasonal pool, that was filled with fresh fill 2 weeks ago, right?
Oops...missed that small fact :hammer: I guess that's why FPM is the Mod. :goodjob:

Disregard what I said about ammonia, but I think the advice still stands. "Shock with bleach." Something is consuming FC and you need to get in front of it. I am not sure that I would dump ~4000 gallons of water if I didn't have to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can have your CYA tested again...it isn't zero. Based on the CYA, dichlor, and trichlor you have added it is probably over 30. Sometimes it takes a few days for it to register on the test.

Based on that you could shock to 13 and it will get you there sooner.

Thanks for all the help and I apologize for more ?'s but how long do I hold it at 10?

Also I was thinking of what may have caused this, when I setup the pool the weather changed and it was raining and windy, the cheap cover that was on came off and I ended up with a bunch of leaves and junk in the pool and was unable to clean it due to the weather for a few days. I have since cleaned it and now have a solar cover on it which keeps the junk out better. Any chance that would have caused this issue?

Thanks again!

Britmandogs said:
how long do I hold it at 10?
You should read the "How to Shock" post in my signature. The gist is:

1. Measure the FC level[/*:m:1sb3hwin]
  2. Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level[/*:m:1sb3hwin]
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, as often as once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
    • CC is 0.5 or lower;[/*:m:1sb3hwin]
    • An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;[/*:m:1sb3hwin]
    • And, if you don't have a FAS-DPD test kit, the water is clear.[/*:m:1sb3hwin]
    [/*:m:1sb3hwin][/list:eek::1sb3hwin]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.