About ready to cry...think I have a leak!

diloglm

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2008
Bel Air, MD
:( Ok, so I get my pool cleaned up and algae free after leaving it uncovered this past winter (technical difficulties with my cover). Everything was great until I noticed a puddle of water around the one side of the pool closest to the return. Saw no active leaking and there had been no splashing, etc.. Was watching the situation... puddle dried up and things seemed ok..Well the puddle is back again, I noticed that I am vacuuming up sand, water level seems to be dropping more than normal, and despite good numbers my pool has a tint to it. The eye ball return piece where the screws are have two tiny cracks but when I filled my pool I checked for leaks there and it was ok??? How do I find my leak??? I read about using food coloring to detect the leak, but not sure how to do it correctly.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Lisa

When your pump is not running, take a bottle of food coloring (or your Phenol Red) and squirt it in front of the wall penetration (put your finger over the tip of the bottle so you don't dilute the dye when you suck water back in!). If it hangs like a cloud you are leak free! If it sucks back into the fitting, you have found your leak!

I don't know why vacuuming would make it worse. If it is a leak the water pressure would allow it to leak even without vacuuming or the system running.

I have a robotic vacuum and the sand is what is in the bag...from the filter or under the pool, not sure. Do not see any obvious rips or tears in liner. What really boggles my mind is that I saw the puddle last week and it went away. If it was a true leak wouldn`t it be constant???

I vacuumed and topped off the pool..we`ll see what happens. Tried the phenol red, but I`m not sure I did it right. Just floated around as a cloud of red...

Thanks for the input, Lisa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.