So you think you've had your pool cleaner the longest?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I'm on a quest for a very durable pool cleaner. This is a significant investment for me, and I want to get something that will last a long time. I thought a poll might help (I already tried a direct request for a recommendation). So ...

What is the longest period of time that you've owned and used the same pool cleaner?
What make/model was it?
When did you buy it?
If it was repaired, did you work on it yourself or take it in?

Thanks!

I have a Letro Legend II. It is 7 yrs old. Some of the parts had worn out & we replaced them recently. The part list is at home (I don't have it with me) but they were small parts like the rings on the tail. (If someone wants to know what we replaced PM me & i'll let you know.)

My biggest complaint is the bag wears out about once or twice x yr. I have to purchase the new bag at abt $25 per bag. This is because the velcro connecting to the hose becomes detached (threads wear out). I don't know why they don't just use something like fishing line; corny I know, but dang it, normal thread just doesn't work in a pool part that is used for several hours x day and underwater at that.

I have finally learned to take the bag to a local seamstress and have her re-sew the connecting velcro back on with better thread.

Also the hose tangles like a phone cord tangles and we have to un-wind it. Minor issue in the big picture but little things add up.

All in all, after 7 yrs the little bugger is still hard working and collects the vast majority of debris in the pool. I have no other cleaner to compare it to. Hope this helps.

I have a Polaris 180 that is at least 20 years old. I bought my house 11 years ago and it came with the pool, which was built by a previous owner in the 80's. Over the years I have replaced bearings, tires, floats, the top cover, and the housing to the backup valve, all on my own. I also had the booster pump replaced last year. It is well-built and easy to maintain. I keep waiting for it to break so I can buy a new one, but that hasn't happened yet.

I have had my Polaris 280 (Black) for more than 4 years. No repair needed yet, but the tires are looking a little worn. I have found that using two (2) bags and alternating them daily makes emptying much easier. With trees overhanging the pool (including one hackberry that sheds leaves constantly) I have to empty every day and emptying a dry bag is much more effective.

Thanks for asking and starting this thread. I've become completely frustrated with the Hayward Phantom. In less than 4 years I've put 3 manifolds and 2 gear boxes into the original unit, plus a new bag, tail and a few other parts (though the manifold is the main one)... it's been expensive and constant maintenance. The last time I replaced $225 worth of manifold and gear box was less than 3 weeks ago and it's malfunctioning again already. Yep, I'm venting. Thanks for this thread, I'm going to take the advice that seems obvious.... polaris.

coolhollowranch said:
Thanks for asking and starting this thread. I've become completely frustrated with the Hayward Phantom. In less than 4 years I've put 3 manifolds and 2 gear boxes into the original unit, plus a new bag, tail and a few other parts (though the manifold is the main one)... it's been expensive and constant maintenance. The last time I replaced $225 worth of manifold and gear box was less than 3 weeks ago and it's malfunctioning again already. Yep, I'm venting. Thanks for this thread, I'm going to take the advice that seems obvious.... polaris.

We are fed up with having to fix Phantom every year as well. They told me ours needs $150 repairs this year again - for exactly same thing that was re-placed last year. So we are looking for new cleaner as well. Most likely Polaris. The question is 380 or newer 3900sport... Still thinking.

I've read a lot of posts about the Polaris and the consensus seems to be that the 280 is the best combination of "old" (tried and true) and "new" technology. That's the one I will probably buy when my 180 finally gives out. By the way, they still make the 180 so that should tell you something about how good that model was designed. The marketing materials seem to focus a lot on the number of jets in the cleaner, but for me, the single-jet 180 does such a great job of keeping my pool clean, I don't even own a regular pool vac. I just use the Polaris when I open my pool in the spring to clean up all the debris that's sunk to the bottom. After changing the fine silt bag three times, the pool is clean. (I use a mesh cover during the winter)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.