imcj

May 18, 2010
I just tested and I got the following:
FC 5
CC 1
TC 6
TA 150
pH Still between 7.2 and 7.5, but I'd say it's closer to the 7.2 now

Well, I got the FC to what I read to be ideal, but CC went up to 1. Why is that? Would your recommendation now be to shock or turn the SWG back up to 3 hours instead of 2? Oh, and after reading my manual again, I turned my pool pump down to 4 hours instead of 6.

I read up on CC and it says that CC is present when there is insufficient FC. Do I need to keep my FC at 6?

I really want to get this right and maintain it. I want to have it swimmable for at least 5 kids and maybe several adults on Friday night.

Help again. :? Thanks.

Hard to say without knowing your CYA level. Could be kids or adults with poor swimming manners, or just the result of large bather load.

Finding your ideal % setting and run time can be trial and error (as you have learned).

I would bump it up a bit with liquid chlorine or increase your run time a bit for several hours to get the FC up to 6-7, leave any cover off (if you have it covered) cuz sunlight helps destroy the CCs and then do an overnight test (the SWG must be off when doing the test.)

If the CC stays persistently high and the FC drops overnight you should shock. What's your CYA level?

John had a good point - could be a more "direct" cause LOL :wink:

First of all...ewww! Ha! But that is a possibility. My daughter (who knows better) and two other children were swimming last night. Could a "pee"er do that to the CC?

Also, last test of CYA was 80 on 5/28. How often should I test that?

I'll bump SWG back up to 3 hours tonight and test in the morning. If CC is still 1 or higher, I'll shock with liquid chlorine. I'd rather do what I can with the pump and figure out the ideal. Does that sound right?

Yeah, it won't take much organics (accidents :oops: ) in a 6k gallon pool to raise CC.

I have found (this is just my recommendation) that with the intex swg (I use one), it generates chlorine pretty quick and therefore does not really enjoy the benefit of slowly chlorinating water over a longer pump time...hopefully that makes some sense, but to net it out I have found that following the non-swg CYA chart yeilded more consistently clear water and low CC, given the inconsistency of the intex swg. One power failure, etc and your FC will be too low.

Try targeting 8-9FC and use a minimum of 6FC, this way if your pump/swg doesn't kick-off for any reason, you have some FC buffer and 8-9FC is perfectly safe if your CYA is at 80ppm.

Thank you. I've made that adjustment on my notes. So if it was probably a child peeing, shall I just leave my pump at 2 hours, test in the morning and shock if CC is still 1? I did readjust my pool pump to 6 hours since I read in an article that you have less problems with the water if you leave the pump on 6-8 hours. This was just an article that I read when I googled so maybe it is inaccurate, but I did readjust back to 6.

From my experience back when we had an Intex pool, we just left the pump on 24/7. With a SWCG, you just have to play around with it to find out how long it needs to run.

If you still have CC's of 1 tomorrow you should raise your CL to shock level and hold it there for at least 24 hours. After that you may want to do an overnight CL loss test to see if you're still fighting something in the pool.

Here's the instructions for that: pool-school/overnight_fc_test

CYA

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing it, but how often do I need to check CYA? Last test was 80 on 5/28. From what I understand this doesn't move around too much, so I don't want to use up more testing materials than I need, but I want to test at the correct times. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you're not adding CYA or suspect something is going on you don't need to test it very often. I test mine once a month but even that's more than you need to. I'd say a couple times a season once everything is leveled out.

CC test today - back down

I tested and this is what I got...
FC 7
CC 0
TC 7
pH seems to be staying steady the last couple of days between 7.2 and 7.5

I hadn't changed anything yet except the pool pump, so I still have my SWG at 2 hours and pool pump at 6. Now I'm questioning if I even need to go to 3 on the SWG since the CC and FC are okay. ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.