Number of Gallons of Bleach?

May 24, 2010
CT.
This is a general question and lots depends on Bather load, Heat, Sun etc but haow many gals of 6% bleach are people using on average per week. Pool size in signature...I am giving bleach a try this year.. Could also do Cal hypo as CH is well in range!

Will use pucks on Vacations.

Thanks in advance.

FC 5 (Pool Calc target 4-8)
TC 5
CC 0
TA 90
PH 7.6
CH 220
CYA 60
Borates Unknown

the cost of bleachusually ends up being cheaper, especially if you have a wally world nearby (1.42 gal GV Brand for $2.54)...but not by much. Looks like Bleach would cost you about $10 a week...give or take. The issue with cal-hypo, is that it will eventually raise your CH level, which could cause scaling.

As you said it will most likely be close in cost. Guess I need to figure out see how long it would take to go thru 25 lbs of Cal Hypo?

In the 25lb bucket would you guess about 400 oz of powder? if I add about 10 oz a day to bring the FC up 2PPM (3-5) then it would be about 40 days to kill the bucket that cost $63.00 so about 1.50 a day! Once again about $10.00 a week

Also does the 48% cal hypo have more Calcium then the 73%?

Posting some info from a previous thread with some info given by PaulR and Chemgeek…the forum search function is your friend, if it takes us too long to reply. :goodjob:

“Cal-Hypo comes in different strengths, typically 48%, 65% or 73%. These strengths are also roughly the % Available Chlorine. The rest is a combination of salt and excess lye (calcium based), not CYA. Generally, Cal-Hypo adds less salt for the same Free Chlorine (FC) as bleach or chlorinating liquid, but of course Cal-Hypo raises the Calcium Hardness (CH).”

“For cal-hypo, the ratio is every 10ppm FC also adds 7ppm CH.”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.