Out of town for a week, how to keep FC up

Jul 16, 2008
SW Michigan
We are going to be out of town for a week and normally I have my father-in-law come dump some bleach every night, but he is going to be gone too. Wondering on anyone's suggestions for what I should do... I have always gone with BBB with our pool so I know nothing about the pucks I see at Wally world, etc but am wondering if those would be a solution.

We did a fresh fill on our pool this year and I have not tested the CYA level yet as I just hung the sock on saturday. I purposely only shot for a CYA level around 30 because I know the pucks add this as well. I guess I just need some cheap ideas on how to keep the pool chlorine level from going to 0 while we are gone... I will be leaving the solar cover on the whole time to try and help.

Thanks in advance!

Just went a poured another 1.42 gallons of WalMart bleach in my Liquidator, and I am good for the week again! I love that thing!

Have a great trip (I hope it is somewhere fun!)!

frustratedpoolmom said:
I wouldn't use the pucks from wallyworld though- they contain copper...
Better to find copper-free versions - pool store or elsewhere. Read the active ingredient label you are looking for plain old trichlor.

Yep, all of the Arch brands (Pace, HTH, etc.) have copper.

Thanks for the tip about the copper. I will swing by the dreaded pool store on my lunch tomorrow and pick up some of their pucks.

We are going camping in Northern Michigan, near Traverse City. Hopefully we get some more of teh beautiful weather we have been having in Michigan lately!

becky5687 said:
Thanks for the tip about the copper. I will swing by the dreaded pool store on my lunch tomorrow and pick up some of their pucks.

We are going camping in Northern Michigan, near Traverse City. Hopefully we get some more of teh beautiful weather we have been having in Michigan lately!

Camping in a tent or camping in an RV? I know which version is "camping" for my wife!

RV :)
I don't know 'bout you but round here these parts we call it "parkin' in the woods..." LOL
wisconsin2009005.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
becky5687 said:

Have fun!!! Traverse City is where I grew up, lots of great stuff to do there :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.