Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with a salt swamp

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with a salt swamp

I've been posting over in the new user section, but I have a question for you SWG experts.

My pool was probably not opened last year and I have a nasty mess. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a good handle on how to clean it up, but when I had the water tested at the local pool store they said the salt was at 200.0 ppm.

My question is about when to add the salt. Do I need to get the pool clear first, or do I add the salt now before I get it clear?

Or does it really matter?
    Elizabeth

Newbie with 18 x 36 rectangular pool, estimated at 18,000 gallons, sand filter, inground w/vinyl liner, SWCG

(Plus a houseful of nearly grown kids)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with a salt swamp

You can add salt pretty much any time. It doesn't interact very much with anything else.

It is best to get everything clean and balanced before turning on the SWG for the first time. Otherwise, things can get confusing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School